Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-27-2011, 04:25 PM   #1 
tokala

Question Freeze Dried Food?

I have been doing a ton of research on food, and have read that I should stay away from freeze dried foods because they cause constipation. Due to living in a very isolated little town, I can not find any frozen or live food. Does anyone know if pre-soaking freeze dried foods reduces the risk of constipation?

P.S. Siku just wanted to say hi- picture is unrelated :)
Attached Images

tokala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 07:50 PM   #2 
peachesxo

I feed freeze dried bloodworms.. just not all the time. Your betta should be fine as long as you only feed him them maybe 3-4 times a week as ONE of his 2 daily meals or something. Try getting some pellets though, they are the best staple food for bettas. And soak them for a minute or so before. Even some meat based tropical flakes work too, mine likes them. Variety is good. I feed all 3 and have never had costipation or bloating issues, just don't overfeed.
peachesxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 08:05 PM   #3 
Pekemom

Hi, Tokala~ Beautiful tank and beautiful betta!! I also feed FD bloodworms. Exactly TWO for Brooke's evening meal. Her breakfast is a tiny bit of micropellets (for her small mouth) and a small bit of flake. I like to mix it up, too, and sometimes substitute a bit of FD shrimp for the bloodworms. I haven't yet fed her and frozen food, but may try in the future. So far, she's been active and lots of fun!
Pekemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 11:49 PM   #4 
tokala

Thanks both of you! He is currently on pellets, flakes and FD bloodworms. I started to get a little paranoid reading up on all this betta stuff- I am so new to it all! I just wanted to make sure as long as they were kept as a special treat, I wouldn't need to worry about hurting my fish. Thanks again :)
tokala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 12:26 AM   #5 
LolaQuigs

I do occasional feedings of freeze-dried bloodworms, brine shrimp, or daphnia. As long as you don't feed these treats too often, and you don't go overboard with how much of them you feed, he should be fine. It's great to add a little variety to their diet every now and then.
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 10:34 PM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

You don't want to use freeze dried food as a staple diet but freeze dried foods are fine IMO, as long as they're rehydrated to prevent digestive problems.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote