Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-27-2011, 06:24 PM   #1 
TXsouthrngrl

Brand new member with an Ich question

I have 2 55's and one 10. I let my mom use one of the 55's for her fish and I use the other and the 10. My son put a bunch of stuff in my tank so I housed my fish with my moms while I cleaned and cycled my tank. Then I put my fish back in and moved some Cory's from the 55 into my 10 gallon a few days ago that has my Betta, 5 danios, and 6 ghost shrimp.

My problem is that a couple of my moms fish now have Ick and one of my clown loachs has it too in my tank. I've never had Ick before in my tanks and since the Corys were with those fish, I'm not sure what to expect. I already bought the Ick treatment for the 55's and am working on them.

My Cory's dont have any spots or are acting unusual. Could they have it and pass it onto the 10 gallon? Should I "pre-treat' them just in case or wait and see. My 10 gallon with my betta is kept at 78 to 80 degrees, has a filter and heater.

Thanks for any advice. If I had found out about the Ick sooner then I would never have moved them to my 10.
TXsouthrngrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 08:04 PM   #2 
Lupin

Location: Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Information Super Highway
Hi,

All fish in contact with those affected by ich must be treated. Please tell us what ich med you are using currently. A lot of them are harsh to scaleless fish. I would have suggested sodium chloride if you didn't add meds yet as the harsher chemicals are simply last resorts in case the ich is found to be salt-resistant.

Anyway, for reference with salt, use sodium chloride. Table salt, rock salt, pickling salt and aquarium salt are absolutely fine. The only additive to really watch out for is yellow prussiate of soda. Since you have loaches and corydoras, then I would advise sticking to 0.1% or one teaspoon per gallon of sodium chloride. You MUST dissolve the salt first before adding to the tank as a lot of bottom dwellers are unable to tolerate the grains burning their skin. Even in marine setups, the salt is always dissolved before added to the tank.

As a warning, most meds used for ich are formalin-based so do NOT combine salt and formalin together as the combo is lethal.

Keep temp elevated at 80 degrees at leas. Please post the exact species of your fish so we will know the max temp we can use.

Keep water well aerated. Salt, some meds and heat can deplete oxygen levels.

Do daily water changes with thorough vacuuming to remove the cysts harboring the hard surfaces. When you do your water changes, redose the meds per water volume replaced. I suggest doing water changes daily by at least 20-30% to ensure the clean water will keep the fish healthy and not stressed which could otherwise kill the fish faster than usual.

Continue another 10 days of treatment after ich disappears. Do NOT shorten treatment process so you can eliminate the parasites completely.
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 08:46 PM   #3 
TXsouthrngrl

Its called Wardley Essentials Ick Away...Active Ing-Malachite green .075%

I only put half the recommended dose because some of my fish may be sensitive. I only put 10 tsp of salt because thats all I've ever put in and am afraid to put more. Should I?

I am going to do a 50% water change tomorrow.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:54 PM   #4 
Lupin

So it's MG only? You may try adding salt at a teaspoon per gallon then.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:13 PM   #5 
TXsouthrngrl

It just seems like so much salt for fresh water fish. 1 tsp per gallon is 55 tsps. I've never put that much in before.

But my major concern is do I need to do anything with my 10 gallon since they may have been exposed to ick but are not showing any signs of it?Would it be fine if I just put some salt in it?
Old 02-27-2011, 09:19 PM   #6 
Lupin

One teaspoon per gallon is minimum for ich treatment. Safe for fish in general but lethal to ich. You cannot dose any lower than that or else you risk creating salt-resistant strains of ich. It's kinda take it or leave it. And salt-resistant strains of ich are extremely dangerous.

Yes, dose salt in the 10g.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:30 PM   #7 
TXsouthrngrl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupin View Post
One teaspoon per gallon is minimum for ich treatment. Safe for fish in general but lethal to ich. You cannot dose any lower than that or else you risk creating salt-resistant strains of ich. It's kinda take it or leave it. And salt-resistant strains of ich are extremely dangerous.

Yes, dose salt in the 10g.

Bless you, thats what I needed to know.