Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-06-2011, 05:00 PM   #1 
mstngchic2012

Maracyn-TC

I have a delta tail betta who I suspect has fin rot. This literally happened overnight. I changed the water out of his 1 gallon tank last night and he was happy/healthy with no issues. I woke up this morning and his dorsal fin has wholes and is really ragged looking. I went to the local pet store and they gave me Maracyn-TC. Will this help? And will this harm my African Dwarf frog that is in with my betta?

Here are some pics but they're not very good...

mstngchic2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 10:32 PM   #2 
turtle10

Would you answer the questions on the first thread? It is stickied, it would really help.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 10:39 PM   #3 
mstngchic2012

Housing
What size is your tank? 1 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 75 F
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? No
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? African Dwarf Frog

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? BettaMin (flakes)
How often do you feed your betta fish? 1x a day

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? once a month
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Bowl Buddies by Jungle

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? No

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Ripped, ragged dorsal fin
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? No change
When did you start noticing the symptoms? This morning
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Yes, with Maracyn-TC
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? Not really sure... bought him in January 2011

I hope this helps. I know that a 1 gallon is too small for a betta and a frog; I'm looking at getting a 5 gallon tank soon.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:45 PM   #4 
turtle10

Oh wow I say do a 100% water change right now first of all. In a one gallon you should have been doing 100% water changes every other day, probably more since there is a frog in there with him. 75 degrees is too cold. Betta are tropical fish and require temperatures nearer to 78 degrees, so get a heater. Also you can't keep a frog with him, that container is WAY too small. I am almost positive that one african dwarf frog requires about 2-3 gallons just by it self. Remove the frog IMMEDIATELY. The medicine could kill him. Stop treating your fish with the medicine and start doing daily 100% water changes with one teaspoon of AQUARIUM salt in with each change. Make sure the frog and betta are separate.

Always do research before buying an animal.

Last edited by turtle10; 03-06-2011 at 10:47 PM.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:52 PM   #5 
mstngchic2012

I'm going out tomorrow because I'm going to get a small critter keeper to put Frankie in so that I can treat him. I'll do the water change tomorrow as it is late. From what I read the frog only needs 1 gallon itself.

So will the Maracyn-TC work?
Old 03-06-2011, 11:02 PM   #6 
turtle10

If you already put the medicine in, you need to remove the frog from it NOW. They don't react the way a fish would, it really could kill him. The maracyn could work, but heavy medications are a last resort as they are hard on the betta. Start by doing daily 100% water changes with 1 tsp of aquarium or kosher salt per gallon, make sure the temp of the new water is the same as the old, so you don't shock your betta. Make sure the temp is at a steady 78 degrees. You need to buy a heater, unfortunately there is no way around that, unless you want to heat your house to 83 degrees.

No the frog definitely needs more room than that. Here is a little excerpt on frog care from fishlore.com:
"Your Frog's Home:
They do best in a stable water temperature of 75-80F
You should allow 2.5-3g's of water per frog. I have 2 in a 5g mini bow with the filter setting on low.
Too strong of an intake can suck up their little flippers. Too strong a current may prevent then from getting to the top for air.
Ideally it should be between 12-18" high. Any taller your frog might have trouble getting to the top for air before tiring out.
A lid is a must. They're great escape artists and can squeeze through a tiny space.
Avoid gravel that can fit in their mouth or has sharp edges.
Small smooth river rock works well.
Plastic, silk or live plants will make your tank look nice and give your ADF a place to hide.
A cave is a nice addition, again, make sure it doesn't have sharp edges.
Only use aquarium safe products and make sure any holes are large enough for the frog to swim through.
A stuck frog will drown."

You can read the rest of the article here : http://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/am...arf-frogs.html
Old 03-06-2011, 11:13 PM   #7 
mstngchic2012

This is what I read on ADFs:
http://aquaticfrogs.tripod.com/id13.html
http://frogworld.net/african-dwarf-frog/

Anyways I'll get the frog out now and do the water change in the morning. And I'm going to get a critter keeper to treat Frankie. How do I keep the temp in the critter keeper at the correct temp while I treat him? An aquarium heater would make a small space too warm wouldn't it?
Old 03-06-2011, 11:19 PM   #8 
turtle10

Well you can get an adjustable heater for the right size tank.

Aquaticfrogs.com says 10 gallons, not 1.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:22 PM   #9 
mstngchic2012

Quote:
Tank care of African Dwarf Frogs is very simple. Please allow one gallon of water per frog. They are not very messy and they don't produce a lot of waste but their food tends to foul up the water more then they do. They do not need a heater as long as the water doesn't drop below 70. I keep my dwarf tank at 75 and they are happy and healthy. Don't put them in very high and deep tanks. They aren't the best swimmers and it would be stressful on them to be straining to reach air.

What brand of adjustable heater do you recommend?
Old 03-06-2011, 11:25 PM   #10 
turtle10

Oh whoops I clicked on clawed frog. Still though, 2.5 is generally the minimum. One gallon is very, very small for any creature.