Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-27-2011, 07:37 PM   #1 
carolinajen2010

Strange growth on Riley's lower fin :(

I just got back from an all-day trip and noticed that my male betta, Riley, has some sort of growth on his anal fin. Is this some sort of disease? Or possibly some sort of scab?? (he had a slight tear in that fin around the same spot as the growth when I bought him about 6 months ago, but I haven't noticed anything before today)

I keep him in a 1.5 gallon tank with a filter, I have a heater that keeps the water in a good range for betta fish. I change his water every 2-2.5 like the filter package says. I use the water conditioner that the pet store told me to use.

I'll try to get a picture of it, but it is about the size of the head of a sewing pin, and the same shimmery dark blue of the rest of his fins. He has a normal appetite and normal energy level. Please help!!
carolinajen2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 07:55 PM   #2 
Lupin

Location: Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Information Super Highway
Hi Jen,

I believe it could simply be a scab but a pic will really help.
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 09:21 PM   #3 
turtle10

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajen2010 View Post
I just got back from an all-day trip and noticed that my male betta, Riley, has some sort of growth on his anal fin. Is this some sort of disease? Or possibly some sort of scab?? (he had a slight tear in that fin around the same spot as the growth when I bought him about 6 months ago, but I haven't noticed anything before today)

I keep him in a 1.5 gallon tank with a filter, I have a heater that keeps the water in a good range for betta fish. I change his water every 2-2.5 like the filter package says. I use the water conditioner that the pet store told me to use.

I'll try to get a picture of it, but it is about the size of the head of a sewing pin, and the same shimmery dark blue of the rest of his fins. He has a normal appetite and normal energy level. Please help!!
Do you mean you change the water every two weeks? That is WAY too little for a tank that tiny. The growth could be caused from bad water quality. What temperature is the tank at? How often do you feed him and how much?
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote