Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-27-2011, 08:29 PM   #1 
RiverStoneBetta

Decisions, decisions...

I've completely sterilized my 5.5 gallon nightstand tank and I'm ready for a new betta. I had originally intended to get a female, but the more I poke around on AquaBid, the more I want another male. I keep hearing that femes more than make up for their lack of flowing fins by shoving as much personality as can fit in their little bodies. But there's still that "wow" factor of a Copper Dragon DDR Crowntail, you know?

I need some help deciding. Should I take the plunge and get my first female, or cave in an get another male?
RiverStoneBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 08:55 PM   #2 
Luimeril

get a girlie. :3 they're so much fun! my little Caroline is so adorable, and has WAY more personality than any male i've ever met(just don't tell my boys that! x3c). as i typed this, she saw me, and zoomed over to wiggle at me! she's just so cute. and, females can be just as pretty as males! :3
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 08:59 PM   #3 
AngelicScars

I say get what "calls" to you when you go looking for your next fishy. You never know if the one that just stands out will be male or female. I've had both and I do think they all have great personalities that differ greatly.

I personally like short fins because I'm afraid of tail biting and things that seem to give line finned fish problems (I've had to deal with some of the issues personally). And hey, plakats are pretty awesome!
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 09:01 PM   #4 
JaspersANGEL

Same problem here, since Jet died I have a hard time getting back on the ball.
I wish u luck with ur decisions?
Psst..get a male *lol*
JaspersANGEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 10:01 PM   #5 
tokala

I say go with your gut. The best things that happen to us, and our best relationships are the ones that have that certain "feel" to it! :)
tokala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 04:28 AM   #6 
baylee767

What I'd do is when you go to the store and look at the Betta, just choose the one that you feel attracted to. Ever since discovering a big stash of 3 month old females at Petco, every time I go for three months now (so 6 month old females) I've felt attracted to one of the females beyond every other Bettas there. It's really sad that she's been stuck there for so long just because of her fins )= She's a beautiful white marble with turquoise fins.

Basically, you never know if the one you want is a male or female. In pics (to me) males look much more interesting. In real life, females look just amazing. Especially really young ones!
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 08:28 AM   #7 
RiverStoneBetta

I've had my eye on a little pink crowntail female at my LFS. I didn't want to sit and stare at her, or I would have had the urge to buy her before my tank was ready. Though, she's a cheeky little thing. Charged right up to the glass and flared, like "I dare you to take me home."
Old 02-28-2011, 09:26 AM   #8 
Bettaluver4evr

Mmuuahahaha! Feisty girl betta. :) I think male bettas have wonderful personalities and are soooo beautiful, but females to me just have so much more personality and spunk! :) I say go with your gut, because when you see one you know you'll want, get it! :P Personally, I say get a girlie! :) And we'd all love to see whichever one you get. *psssst... if you don't get her, sneak a pic of pinky CT girlie, pleeeeease? :)*
Bettaluver4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 09:35 AM   #9 
RiverStoneBetta

I was planning on going back up to see if she's still there this Saturday. And I'll take photos of her and the whole shop. Mostly because I'm doing a series of "care sheets" and one of them is about finding a good fish store.

But she was in a tank with harlequin rasboras, if I remember right. Stood out like a diva, and made sure I paid attention. There were a few others in community tanks, but she's the one I remember.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:39 AM   #10 
Bettaluver4evr

Awww! Well if she is still there, I say get her because she stood out to you! :) If you take pics, please post some on here because we are crazy fish people who love looking at bettas. :)
Bettaluver4evr is offline   Reply With Quote