Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-28-2011, 06:18 AM   #1 
BlueHaven

Question about breeding bettas ~

Hi!
I have been reading the two stickies for breeding bettas....I may want to do this sometime (Actually I know I want to!), but I'm not even going to go there until I know for sure I'm ready and everyone would have what they needed ahead of time.
My question is, when you are breeding betta, you have to pick a healthy pair that want to breed.
Can you breed bettas you have gotten from stores like Petco and Petsmart?

I know breeding has to be specific is some ways.
Any helpful info, including other websites on this would be awesome ~

C:
BlueHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 09:54 AM   #2 
vilmarisv

The type of fish you breed is YOUR choice.
Can you breed a petstore betta? YES... but do you want to?
This all depends on your reasons to breed. If you're breeding because you want to see and raise a spawn, then it really doesn't matter what fish you use.
IMO, if you're spending all that money and effort breeding and raising 100+ fry to adulthood then, why not start with the best pair you can get your hands on?
I'm not talking about the show quality of the fish but about your possible "ideal" fish. Do you absolutely love dragons? Then get a pair you really like and use that one instead.
Petstores have some beautiful fish and if you look really well you might find one that's breeding-worthy but the problem is that you cannot predict the outcome of the fry unless you know some of the genetic background of a fish. An honest breeder can provide you of this by showing you pictures of siblings, parents and other fish in that line. This gives you an idea of what you can get when breeding this is very important for ME.
Anyway, here's a good website to start off: http://www.flippersandfins.net/BettaBreedingArticle.htm
This one has also a lot of good info: http://www.bettasrus.net/bcorner/index.htm
Best of luck and keeps us updated!!
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 01:12 PM   #3 
BlueHaven

Thanks! :D
I will go read those sites ~
Old 03-03-2011, 06:21 PM   #4 
BlueHaven

Okay, I'm back with another question, haha

I would breed the bettas indoors, but when the fry need to be moved to a larger home, is it safe to move them outdoors or would this be harder to do if you are a first time breeder? I'm wondering because I want to get a really huge tank for the fry to live in (that is if I ever do this), and I don't have the space for a huge tank in the house. lol
Otherwise, I would stick with a smaller one and move them into their own jars, but it seems easier for them to live together in a huge tank. (I was reading the thread "How do you grow out your fry").
Old 03-03-2011, 06:41 PM   #5 
Dragonlady

What is the temperature outdoors?

Last edited by Dragonlady; 03-03-2011 at 06:49 PM.
Dragonlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 06:57 PM   #6 
BlueHaven

Ha, I have tons to learn. -yay-!
I like learning, I didn't mean on no -yay-. lol

What does culling mean?

Nevermind, I get what you mean by culling.
I found a site that talks about it too.

The temperature outoors in Spring and Summer, ahhh, I think it gets too cold at night. I didn't know this till I asked someone. So I will keep them indoors and figure out space then. I'm not going to be doing this anytime soon though anyway, i'm still learning about it and who knows I may not be in the same place as I am now so space may not be a problem then.
:D

In the Spring, it's in 40-50s at night, maybe warmer and summer I think can get up to 70 at night.

Last edited by BlueHaven; 03-03-2011 at 07:16 PM.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:40 PM   #7 
MrVampire181

Bettas must not be in temps below 60F. At 60F they stop moving and at 55F they can get hypothermia (believe it or not) and die.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 07:37 PM   #8 
PeggyJ

Wow! I didnt know that Mr. V... If you keep your tanks heated though, they should be okay. I have a 55 gal on my back screened in porch area and even though I am in Florida, it gets cold here in the winter (below freezing). I keep my tank warm with heaters and I cover them with blankets or heavy towels. My fish seem to be fine with it. I have had more trouble with heat than cold here.
PeggyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 07:45 PM   #9 
BlueHaven

I'd love to see snow on the beach. Random not related to this topic, but just felt like saying that because of Floridas Winter. :D

Thank you MrVampire181 ~ I did not know that, but I knew they would get really sick from low temps.
Old 03-04-2011, 11:08 PM   #10 
thestompa

You need to read about betta breeding over and over. Until you actually get it. Hahaha
thestompa is offline   Reply With Quote