Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-28-2011, 12:06 PM   #1 
denaliwind

Looking for live floating plants

Hello all,

I'm looking for some live, floating plants to add to my fish tanks. Something small, like the picture shown below. I'm not sure what type of plant that is and if there is even such a plant that would be appropriate for a Betta tank with warm water/low light conditions. Something that is hardy and doesn't require a lot of care would be nice... perhaps that's just wishful thinking. =P In addition, I don't even know if a floating plant like that would be advised since they're surface breathers. If any of you have suggestions on plant type or even where I could order such plants, that would be great!

Thanks for the help!

[IMG]http://howtotakecareo***oldfish.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/3336617108_b34910fb72_b.jpg[/IMG]

In this video (beautiful tank btw) there are some floating plants that I'd be interested in also. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LubYMbtL23E

Last edited by denaliwind; 02-28-2011 at 12:09 PM.
denaliwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 12:07 PM   #2 
denaliwind

Old 02-28-2011, 02:49 PM   #3 
JackisLost

The first picture is duckweed, It will grow like crazy in warm sunny days. It can grow in lower light but they will spread slower. I have some in my betta tank, just don't let it mat the tank and your betta will do fine. I'm letting my duckweed cover about 25% or less of my surface area.
JackisLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 02:57 PM   #4 
Malvolti

Yeah, I'm not a fan of duckweed. It grows wild around here and always makes me think of dirty scummy ponds. I accidentally have some in my Betta tank (it hitchhiked) and it is growing like crazy. I started with 1 piece a month ago and now have about 10.

What was suggested to me was Water Wisteria. It may not be as small and low profile as you like but my Bettas LOVE the stuff, as do my frogs and shrimp. It isn't high maintenance but it looks very nice floating. And it drops these roots that look kinda cool too.

Another suggestion is Frogbit. It can be hard to find but it is similar to duckweed but larger. Somewhere between duckweed and lilly pads.

The plant in the video is Baby's Tears. I don't have experience with it but I've read it grows very fast and in a variety of conditions from full aquatic to semi aquatic to planted in a garden.

Last edited by Malvolti; 02-28-2011 at 03:03 PM.
Malvolti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 03:24 PM   #5 
1fish2fish

Duckweed may be your easiest bet. Some people have so much they will sometimes just give the stuff away. Personally I have a little bit and it does not spread very much for me at all so I like it... actually wish I had more so I could give some away.

Frogbit and water lettuce are also very pretty but larger.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 08:13 PM   #6 
denaliwind

Thanks for your help, I'll check those recommendations out right away. :)
Old 03-03-2011, 01:09 AM   #7 
Hadouken441

My Buddy has so many floaters in his tank that I can prob get you a sandwhichbag STUFFED full of it. Red Root floaters, Amazon Frobgit, Duckweek, Water Spangles. Let me know
Hadouken441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 10:19 AM   #8 
denaliwind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadouken441 View Post
My Buddy has so many floaters in his tank that I can prob get you a sandwhichbag STUFFED full of it. Red Root floaters, Amazon Frobgit, Duckweek, Water Spangles. Let me know
Awesome, I sent you a PM. Thanks ^^
Old 03-03-2011, 10:39 AM   #9 
LisaLB24

I have water wisteria and love it. The floating down make for a really neat looking scene!
LisaLB24 is offline   Reply With Quote