Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-28-2011, 11:58 AM   #1 
Moshilover

What to do with new snail!?

I know experts on this forum say to not buy plants from Petco and other large chain pet stores like it, but....I bought a new anacharis plant from Petco yesterday. Theres nothing wrong with the plant, but as I was cleaning my tank and putting the new anacharis into place just now and I noticed a little snail had hitched a ride from the store onto my plant! I don't know if it's okay for him to be in the same tank as my betta (a 3 gallon tank with a few other plants and a filter system), if I should just kill him, or release him some where outside. I really don't want to kill him and I would feel perfectly fine if he was in my fish's tank, but I just want to know if there would be any repercussions to it?

Maybe I'm being overly sensitive about a tiny, little sail but I just can't bring myself to harm him. :(

UPDATE:
I went back to cleaning my tank and discovered about 6 more snails! Mostly babies, would this be bad?
And I think they might be trumpet snails? They are tiny, dark brown with speckles of lighter brown.

Last edited by Moshilover; 02-28-2011 at 12:12 PM.
Moshilover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 12:10 PM   #2 
Sweeda88

Unless you want a huge amount of snails, I would get rid of him. They are asexual, so the don't need another snail in order to reproduce.
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 12:11 PM   #3 
Alex09

Well, the snail wont harm your betta. Problem is that it may lay eggs and you may end up with an infestation depending on the type of snail.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 12:14 PM   #4 
scootshoot

In a 3 gallon the last thing you need is snails multiplying....

The choice of disposal is yours.
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 03:28 PM   #5 
Cravenne

Just squash them if they bother you. A few snails isn't a bad thing, necessarily, but they do multiply quite quickly.
Often an outbreak can signal overfeeding of the tank. If they don't have too much to eat, the population won't go crazy. If you manually remove the ones you find daily, you should be able to get thigns under control.

Actually, if you know anyone who has large tanks for say..puffers or other snail eating fish, they will take them off your hands as free food!
I've actually seen people selling huge quantities of pond/trumpet snails which they have 'bred' specifically for food.

:)
Cravenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 03:43 PM   #6 
Malvolti

In a 3 gallon 1 isn't bad. 7 is terrible. I would recommend killing the other 6 or more you find and keep 1 if you want to.

NEVER release them into the wild. If they can quickly overpopulate a tank think of what they can do to an entire ecosystem...

This is also why you always quarantine a plant for a day or two outside the tank. I usually just fill a bowl with untreated water and let the plant soak in that. After a day there I swish it around to try and make everything fall off then pick through it stem by stem to make sure I didn't miss anything.

What some people like to do is crush the snail shell and feed your betta the snail inside. Bettas love snail snacks.

Last edited by Malvolti; 02-28-2011 at 03:47 PM.
Malvolti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 05:46 PM   #7 
Lupin

Location: Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Information Super Highway
Here's my article re the snails.

http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/i...ail-faq-25186/
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 07:59 AM   #8 
JackisLost

I had a infestation of pond snails in my 14 gallon, similar description of what you have. It took me 3 months to get rid of every last one. I was smashing them on sight, checking inside my filter everyday (canister type, they clog it!). At first I thought one was cute, then it turned to 6 a day really fast! I hated them and that's my experience with them
JackisLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 10:41 AM   #9 
scootshoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupin View Post
Ewww, "smash with a hammer"
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 04:30 AM   #10 
Lupin

Location: Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Information Super Highway
That's for MTS. You don't want your fingernails brittle and infected, do you?
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote