Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-27-2011, 11:39 AM   #1 
skypros

Filter Cartridge ???

I have a 2.5 gallon mini bow tank that uses the small filter cartridges.
They are $8 for a 3 pack... + shipping (on-line) and I think $10 @ the store (that is not close to me)

My question: is there anyway to make my own cartridge and if so.... How would I do it?

Thanks
Steve
skypros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 11:41 AM   #2 
Lupin

Location: Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Information Super Highway
What filter do you use? You can simply go with filter floss, small lava rocks, ceramic rings and sponges. Porous objects prove useful to allow more beneficial bacteria to colonize.
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 11:44 AM   #3 
skypros

Hi Lupin,
This is the filter cartridge I use
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...2493&lmdn=Fish
Old 02-27-2011, 12:13 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

It all depends on if you want to use carbon or not-if so-this has to be changed every 3-6 weeks-depending on the carbon grade....I don't use carbon...not needed IMO....especially when a water change will do the same thing that carbon can do.....when I did buy my filter media I would cut a slit in it and dump the carbon out and save it...great to have fresh unused carbon on hand...just in case......
I would then just use the sponge part of the filter media and rinse/swish in old tank water a couple of times a month or when the water flow slowed....I would only change it out when it was falling apart...about 1-2 times a year.....now I make my own filter media and I use a lot of polly-fill that I get in the craft department-rubber band come in handy to keep it attached to the filter frame.....I even have some that I will use cheese cloth to wrap around them to keep the polly fill in place....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 09:34 PM   #5 
Pekemom

The manufacturing companies make more money on supplies like this, than the tank you bought from them!! How often have you been changing them out? I agree completely with OFL - there are ways of filtering with cheaper materials than work just as well.
Pekemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 05:55 PM   #6 
skypros

I have been trying to wash the filters out by rinsing them in cold water.... then with this last cartridge.... I cut the top "filter media" off (bottom filter media is still on the cartridge)..... and I put cotton as the "media" (it kinda works)

I guess what I am going to try is getting a sheet of "filter media" and try the rubber band as OFL suggested.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:15 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

The goal of rinse/swish of the filter media in old tank water with a water changes- is to get the big pieces of gunk off so that you can maintain good water flow through it....you want it to look dirty...this is good bacteria.....over cleaning especially in un-treated/chlorinated water can kill all this good bacteria......as odd as it sounds...sometimes dirty is good.....lol....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote