Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-28-2011, 04:20 PM   #1 
mewso222

Exclamation Help!!!!

Help please, i just did my 10gal yesterday with a thermometer and i couldent afford a heater, it was sitting barely in the green zone and when i check it today its nearly 68F hes doing ok, hes active, but i fear it may be to cold, is there a way i can heat him up without buying a heater? ):
mewso222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 04:27 PM   #2 
turtle10

That is WAY too cold, you need to buy a heater ASAP. In the mean time fill a new, clean water bottle without any sticky stuff on the outside with hot water. Float it in the tank. Or place a heating pad under the tank. In both cases monitor the temp and make sure it doesn't get too warm too soon.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 04:28 PM   #3 
tokala

Hmmm, that is a tough one. In the end, you will definitely need to get a heater. Until then.... 10G is a lot to move- but if you can maybe move it somewhere warmer or near a heater? (Just monitor it to make sure it doesn't get too hot). You could also maybe add warmer water periodically, move a warm light over the tank, or even use a hair dryer haha. That all I have for ideas!
tokala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 04:29 PM   #4 
mewso222

Time to get the space heater
Old 02-28-2011, 04:31 PM   #5 
turtle10

Put it near the tank, but not directly facing it. What temperature would you be able to keep it steadily at until you can get a heater?
Old 02-28-2011, 04:40 PM   #6 
mewso222

Uhh im gonna fool around with it and tweak for a few hours and just monitor it, my room could use some heat anyways (: ill keep yah poster
Old 02-28-2011, 04:42 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

True, 68F is a bit on the cool side for a Betta....but since he is acting and eating okay-I would monitor his behavior and save your money to buy a heater in the near future....you will need one......I have found that healthy Bettas can tolerate lower temps short term without any adverse issues...long term however can be problematic.......

If he seems to start getting stress or you start to see negative behavior or appetite changes....I would lower the water level some to off set the hot water bottled added as turtle recommended.....until you can get the needed heater...be sure and monitor the water temp closely in the mean time.....

If the tank is not filtered you can also cover the top with plastic veggie wrap to help maintain heat or use a lamp over the water, wrap towels around three sides to retain some heat.....be really careful using anything electric around water...but I am sure you already know the dangers of electric and water......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 04:53 PM   #8 
mewso222

thanks oldfishlady (: im gonna saran wrap it a bit, but hes eating and moving, definatly taken a liking to my warm waters

2cups of hot water floating, bigger one right by my thermometer, heats getting warmed up outside of my room cuz its just blowing cold right now then ill move it over, lights are on, tv, im in here, blinds closed (its cold out) And i look over, all of them moved to the top the betta is at the smaller hot water cup, and i poured some water into the tank, less then 1 cup, very hot, spread evenly, wish me luck guys, more tips? suggestions?
Old 02-28-2011, 04:54 PM   #9 
turtle10

NEVER pour hot water into a tank. Only warm.
Old 02-28-2011, 04:55 PM   #10 
mewso222

Ok thx turtle, im new to this and im trying to make it good.