Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-28-2011, 11:35 AM   #1 
sylvia1572

Weekly Environment Switch

Greetings,

I have a 5 gallon tank in my bedroom with a betta and two otos and a 1.77 gallon in my office basement with just a betta (which I set up about a month ago. I've had Aurora (orange Betta #1) for a year now and Sushi (white crowntail) for a month. Both are healthy and eating well.

I spend most of my time in the office and love interacting with Aurora there. Sushi does not get much time except for feeding. Anyway, sorry for rambling here's my question.

Would it be detrimental for the fish if i switched them every week? One week Aurora would get the 5 gallon and Sushi the 1.77 in the office and then switch back. That way each fish would have one week with more swim room and a different environment and I would be able to enjoy the one that's in the smaller tank on my office desk

Any major downsides to this idea? Thank you!

Sylvia
sylvia1572 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 11:57 AM   #2 
Goomba3

One major downside is if one gets sick and you don't notice right away, transferring the two between the tanks could spread the sickness to the other tank and the other fish. I think it might also cause more stress, being in a different place every week. But if your fish don't stress easily, then it's not something to worry about. I'd be more concerned about spreading disease.
Goomba3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 12:03 PM   #3 
Sweeda88

It would not be a good idea. It's stressful for a fish to be switched that often, and since Bettas are territorial, it's best for them to be able to establish their own territory and not be moved from it constantly.
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 05:06 PM   #4 
sylvia1572

Thanks for the input.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:14 PM   #5 
PewPewPew

Also, you have a betta and two ottos in a 5 gallon? Thats quite a heavy load if they get to their full 2in+ size.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 05:26 PM   #6 
sylvia1572

I've had the otos for at least 3+ years and have always had a betta in with them. I got the betta and otos at the same time and he just died about a month ago, thus my reason for getting the new white crowntail. They all seem healthy and happy.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:29 PM   #7 
turtle10

I'm pretty sure ottos require at least ten gallons.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 05:33 PM   #8 
PewPewPew

Just make sure your water changes are frequent and your filtration system can handle that load.
I dont advise keeping them together, though, not in that size tank :c!
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote