Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-28-2011, 04:49 PM   #1 
k2ofcu

White fungus in betta log?

Just noticed that I have white fungus growing (or so I think it's fungus) in my bud's betta log.
(pics if needed).

It's white & fuzzy, & I suspect it might be food related (he only will eat flakes - & my bad for not rinsing the log out after every feeding, but have tried to not disturb things).
Am doing twice weekly water changes (we're just establishing the cycle for a few weeks now).

Should I clean the log- or is this a good thing (can't imagine!)?

Thanks for helping this still newbie!
k2ofcu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 05:18 PM   #2 
k2ofcu

White fungus in betta log?

Also-
pH = 8
ammonia = 1 ppm
nitrite =0 ppm
nitrate = 0 ppm

Thanks!
Old 02-28-2011, 05:23 PM   #3 
JackisLost

Weird, I usually see this white fuzz on new driftwood but never a fake one. From my experience, it goes away on it's own and it is rather harmless.
JackisLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 05:26 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

What kind of testing products are you using and what kind and how much dechlorinator and have you tested your source water for ammonia....I ask because of your ammonia reading of 1ppm...I recommended that you make water changes until the ammonia is 0.25ppm or less...0ppm is ideal with livestock in the tank, however, depending on your dechlorinator it may be ammonium and not ammonia and nothing to worry about...how is the Betta acting?

Is this real wood log or fake wood-generally on real wood it would be harmless and resolve on its own...if it is fake and related to leftover food this can be harmful and needs to be clean up.

Pics would be helpful....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 05:52 PM   #5 
k2ofcu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
What kind of testing products are you using and what kind and how much dechlorinator and have you tested your source water for ammonia....
Api freshwater test kit
Tetra bettasafe
Source water tested 0 ppm for ammonia (had checked that before)

Quote:
I ask because of your ammonia reading of 1ppm...I recommended that you make water changes until the ammonia is 0.25ppm or less...0ppm is ideal with livestock in the tank, however, depending on your dechlorinator it may be ammonium and not ammonia and nothing to worry about...how is the Betta acting?
Acting just fine- frisky even. Follows me as I enter the room- communes with the beagles when they check him out in the tank (everyone is safe!)

Quote:
Is this real wood log or fake wood-generally on real wood it would be harmless and resolve on its own...if it is fake and related to leftover food this can be harmful and needs to be clean up.
Fake wood - here's the link:
http://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Floati.../dp/B0027ITKBS

Quote:
Pics would be helpful....
Am working on them- they didn't take with enough detail. In the meantime- they are spots (seemingly located where flakes fell inside the log)- are white and fuzzy.

Also (fwiw): have Imagine BioModules inserted in the Whisper 10 filter (along with the black biosponge & regular carbon filter cartridge) - just in case that matters.
Also have some biosponge which I obtained from our local fish store (reputable) (obtained to facilitate cycle).

Should I wash the log in water with aquarium salt (read somewhere that it could kill fungus)?

Thanks so much!
Old 02-28-2011, 06:04 PM   #6 
k2ofcu

Also - I just added an airstone (with very low flow- stepped down with a gang valve setup) for a little more aeration - for good or for bad.

Just trying to give all details!

Also- would be changing water more frequently, but it takes time (at least overnight) for the gallons to come to room temp (as I use cold tap water). Should I go with warmer water from the tap (& not have it stand as long?- thought that cold water has more dissolved oxygen/less impurities from pipes).

Again-on behalf of my Fred Nancois & my tank- THANKS!
Old 02-28-2011, 06:04 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

I would get the fungus food looking stuff cleaned out...the bacteria that it creates can be harmful to the livestock.....and to get your ammonia level to 0.25ppm or lower before it affect the Betta fins....(ideal 0ppm ammonia)

Edit-let your tap run for a minute and then regulate the temp to match your tank water add dechlorinator and use.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 06:13 PM   #8 
k2ofcu

Quote:
I would get the fungus food looking stuff cleaned out...the bacteria that it creates can be harmful to the livestock.....and to get your ammonia level to 0.25ppm or lower before it affect the Betta fins....(ideal 0ppm ammonia)

Edit-let your tap run for a minute and then regulate the temp to match your tank water add dechlorinator and use.....
Will do! - thanks so much!
Am running the water right now!

So- instead of one 50% change, I should just keep doing so (remove, refill, mix, text) until I get a reading of 0.25 ppm (with Fred removed to a safety bowl, yes?)

THANKS!
Old 02-28-2011, 08:26 PM   #9 
Omboc

I think I know what you are talking about, it's almost cotton-like or can be compared to a dandelion? I read online that its due to overfeeding and it said to do water changes and use a gravel vac to remove excess food particles.
Omboc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 08:40 PM   #10 
k2ofcu

Yep- did all of the above (cleaned the log, etc.) but now I've got a pH problem (ammonia is down but pH is up (???)).
I've started another thread on it (Help- In midst of water change- ammonia down, pH up) (or similar title!)

Am worried because I'd like to get him back into the tank tonight but am afraid to take him from a pH of 7.4(in his holding quart)( was 7.8-8.0 in the tank) to a pH of 8.2-8.4 (purple under high pH test API!)