Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-01-2011, 07:15 AM   #11 
Oldfishlady

Have you been adding chemical to altar the pH?
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 07:42 AM   #12 
Torat

Does it look like that?

I kept getting that over and over again on that stretch of airtubing. I'd have to wipe it every few days. I gave up on it, replaced the airline tubing, and haven't had the fungus stuff come back since.

I had a similar situation with MY betta log on the INSIDE of the log. I put 'er in a bleach solution, scrubbed 'er up good, then boiled water for the log and rinsed rinsed rinsed with it. You have to let the water cool a little or it melts, and give it "breaks" or the log melts. Haven't had a recurrence.
Torat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 10:47 AM   #13 
k2ofcu

Thanks so much for the kind responses!

No pH amendments added- I had a feeling that the 'tincture of time' (and a bit of heat, & aeration from an airstone) would be helpful, and it was.
Long story short-the pH is now at 7.4 (one entire unit down!?!?) from last night.
Am actually happy about that as it had been normally ~ pH=8.

Am befuddled about the ammonia- I really did a vigorous agitation & removal of debris from the gravel (though I did not wash anything under tap) and several (2+ at 50%) water changes, yet my ammonia increased per this AM's reading.

Ammonia last night was 0.25ppm; is now 0.5ppm (what the ?@?!!).
Temp is 78-80F.

Could the bacteria still resident on (relatively new) aquarium fixtures/decor/filter media still be that productive for ammonia? (No fixtures were washed in tap- only in old tank water) (or SHOULD I be washing some of this stuff to decrease the ammonia production load?)

I'm guessing that yet another water change is in our future? (it's ok, I'm game! - anything for Fred!- but I really did an aggressive change last night and am impressed with the productivity! lol (it can't just be Fred! lol)

I did clean the log by:
1) removing it from the tank
2) physically wiping it down with a clean disposable paper towel (wiped off gross debris)
3) soaking it in a warm solution of clean dechlorinated water & aquarium salt (1 T /gallon) for ~15 minutes
4) rinsing with tap water
5) soaked the log again ~10-15 minutes (to leach out any absorbed/adsorbed salt) in clean dechlorinated water.

I choose this method because I read that the salt could be effective against ich (so figured it couldn't hurt here and may be preemptive).
I also knew that the salinity of the water could be effective against bacteria/fungus (lyse bacterial/fungal cell walls by movement of cell water out of the cells in order to achieve balance (cell water moves to the salty water to try to dilute it), thereby killing the dehydrated cells.
I also figured that the salt water would not likely damage the synthetic material of the log (just an opinion).
We'll see if anything grows back!

Thanks!
k2ofcu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 10:54 AM   #14 
demonr6

That is interesting because I own two of those logs with one being in an unfiltered tank. I do take mine out on every water change and I rinse it down. I do not scrub it because the paint peels off - watch out for that. Both of my logs have the paint peeling issues.
demonr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 11:00 AM   #15 
Oldfishlady

Good that you figured out the pH....once de-gassed it usually will drop unless something in the tank is causing it.....

The ammonia-I couldn't find much on the dechlorinator you are using to see if it has a binders for ammonia....I think they all do since chloramine is a type of ammonia and my thought with that is- you are seeing ammonium and not ammonia since the testing products can't tell the difference....I know several dechlorinator will cause this skewed result but usually within 24h you can get correct readings.....especially since you don't have ammonia in the source water......and it hard to believe that one fish is creating that much ammonia in such a short time....what size tank...again.....and its filtered....correct.....and he is not showing any adverse reaction to that ammonia level...right......nothing in the substrate that could have died like a snail or something......just tossing out ideas....lol......decaying food can cause ammonia spikes.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 11:05 AM   #16 
demonr6

Remove the substrate and rule that out you think??
Old 03-01-2011, 11:20 AM   #17 
k2ofcu

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonr6 View Post
That is interesting because I own two of those logs with one being in an unfiltered tank. I do take mine out on every water change and I rinse it down. I do not scrub it because the paint peels off - watch out for that. Both of my logs have the paint peeling issues.
Yep!-noticed the possibility of peeling paint (just a few flecks thus far) which is why I was conservative with the cleaning.
I think I may well just do a preemptive wipedown and maybe even a salt soak (with rinsing!) each time....
Old 03-01-2011, 11:27 AM   #18 
demonr6

Although I don't think or hope this would be it.. can you set up the log with treated water similar to your current set up and check for ammonia? I don't want to assume the log and peeling paint could cause it but..
Old 03-01-2011, 11:37 AM   #19 
k2ofcu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Good that you figured out the pH....once de-gassed it usually will drop unless something in the tank is causing it.....
Yeah, was a little panicky last night as it was late and didn't want to venture forth to see what department store fish depts. had for pH adjustment. Would have likely just gone the distilled water route. However, I believe that it's far better to have a pH problem in the basic direction than in the acidic direction (so I do realize that it could have been worse!)
Quote:
The ammonia-I couldn't find much on the dechlorinator you are using to see if it has a binders for ammonia....I think they all do since chloramine is a type of ammonia and my thought with that is- you are seeing ammonium and not ammonia since the testing products can't tell the difference....I know several dechlorinator will cause this skewed result but usually within 24h you can get correct readings.....especially since you don't have ammonia in the source water......and it hard to believe that one fish is creating that much ammonia in such a short time....
Ok- here we go- Tetra BettaSafe contains:
sodium hydroxymethane sulfinate
polyvinylpyrollidones
organic hydrocolloids
organic chelating compounds

Quote:
what size tank...again.....and its filtered....correct.....and he is not showing any adverse reaction to that ammonia level...right......nothing in the substrate that could have died like a snail or something......just tossing out ideas....lol......decaying food can cause ammonia spikes.....
Fred's been the only resident (and is a small crowntail to boot), so no dead snails, etc.
More food in the gravel than I expected (agitated it a LOT & had it filter cycle /strongly aerate for a good hour+ without Fred)- plan to get a small cory or two (but it's a 6 gallon tank so am being conservative, and I don't think we've completely cycled either).

Suspect that the tank is still trying to be established- have not really seen nitrites/nitrates ever spike (fwiw).

Then again- it's a
6 gallon tank (Tetra Water Wonders)
Whisper 10i(?) internal filter (can handle up to 10gallons)
bioceramics added to the filter (to provide biofilter substrate)
supplemental aeration (airstone+ separate pump & gang valve) available (just added), but only used intermittently (too strong at full strength, used for a few hours at a time at a low flow & turned off overnight - but the degassing does seem to help pull down the pH (as stated above )

Thanks!
Old 03-01-2011, 12:07 PM   #20 
k2ofcu

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonr6 View Post
Remove the substrate and rule that out you think??
Had contemplated that, but was using it to establish /expedite cycling. It's never even given readings for nitrites/nitrates yet. (only ammonia).