Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-01-2011, 01:10 PM   #21 
k2ofcu

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonr6 View Post
Although I don't think or hope this would be it.. can you set up the log with treated water similar to your current set up and check for ammonia? I don't want to assume the log and peeling paint could cause it but..
Interesting idea- will consider doing that though I really can't duplicate the setup (could remove it, test the tank, put it back in, test the tank).

Hope it's not the culprit- because:
Boy does he love his betta log! lol It sits in a corner, and he sidles up next to the top of it at night (uses it as a 'betta leaf' to rest near the surface, sandwiching himself between the glass and the log curve up near the surface).

Thanks for all of the great ideas! :)
k2ofcu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 07:11 PM   #22 
JKfish

O_o I was just looking at my new betta log and saw the exact same thing. It was like a fuzzy carpet on the bottom inside of it. I can't believe I didn't see it until now. I know I clean up any left over pellets when I feed and my water params are pretty much perfect, and I've only had this a week. (i just finished cleaning it with scalding hot water and a gentle scrub down).

Maybe there is something in the betta logs that more or less encourages fungus growth?
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 07:30 PM   #23 
k2ofcu

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKfish View Post
O_o I was just looking at my new betta log and saw the exact same thing. It was like a fuzzy carpet on the bottom inside of it. I can't believe I didn't see it until now. I know I clean up any left over pellets when I feed and my water params are pretty much perfect, and I've only had this a week. (i just finished cleaning it with scalding hot water and a gentle scrub down).

Maybe there is something in the betta logs that more or less encourages fungus growth?
Well, golly- I feel better if this is even happening to someone with experience, too!
Yep- your description was right on the mark - I did a physical wiping out of the log and soaked it in a salt solution (followed by a dechlorinated water soak).

I too wonder if there is something @ the log? -but my goodness my boy LOVES his! lol
Old 03-02-2011, 07:42 PM   #24 
k2ofcu

Quote:

You know, I just went back to look at my log and DARN IT ALL- the fuzzy stuff is back!
More diffuse, not as concentrated, but IT'S BACK!
Sigh- will take it out and try the hot water treatment- what the heck?!?!?!?
Old 03-02-2011, 08:16 PM   #25 
JKfish

I don't know about you, but I'd rather not risk killing my fish if that stuff it toxic. If it grows back again, I'll try soaking it in a vinegar solution then soaking in hot water several times. If that doesn't do it and I find more again, I'm going to return it and complain to the company. While my betta likes it, I'm not sure it was worth the money. I mean, it's already chipping paint, and it's growing disgusting fungus. 10 dollars should get me better than that.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:38 PM   #26 
k2ofcu

Quote:
I don't know about you, but I'd rather not risk killing my fish if that stuff it toxic. If it grows back again, I'll try soaking it in a vinegar solution then soaking in hot water several times. If that doesn't do it and I find more again, I'm going to return it and complain to the company. While my betta likes it, I'm not sure it was worth the money. I mean, it's already chipping paint, and it's growing disgusting fungus. 10 dollars should get me better than that.
Agreed- even still have the box folded up (and the receipt in a monthly expenses folder).
Wonder if an email to ZooMed (?) (manufacturer) would get very far?
Old 03-02-2011, 09:51 PM   #27 
k2ofcu

http://zoomed.com/cm/company-informa...r-service.html

Here's the customer service page (there is a link for Email us, etc.).

I sent a conciliatory email (because, hey, Fred loves this thing and maybe they just had a bad batch? - though we all bought them from all over...hmmm)- and I hope they help us!

Crossed fingers!
Old 03-02-2011, 10:30 PM   #28 
JKfish

Augh, I can't find the box! I think I threw it away! :P Ah well, maybe it'll stop molding?

Thanks for the link, I'm going to have to email them and hope and pray they reply.