Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-27-2011, 11:09 AM   #1 
Panthera

Umbriel+Rubicon Spawn!

Hey everyone! Well its been a few weeks since I posted about my last spawn, it failed sadly, but luckily the pair weren't beat up TOO bad. Mizu had a few tears on his fins, and Daxia just had one nip which has already healed. Since then I've been conditioning two of my Crowntails, as well as Mizu and Daxia in case the first pair didn't work out. I put Rubicon in the spawn tank yesterday morning, and then in the afternoon put my CT female Umbriel in a vase inside the tank. He flared a bit, but no where near as much as my last two males would. Since her breeding bars appeared last night, I decided to release her this morning. There was no bubblenest, but I've tried getting him to build a nest before by looking at a female, and it never worked, so hopefully her being in the tank with him will get him building. Currently he is chasing her, but not much, just whenever he sees her. Luckily she's fast, but its amazing how quickly those stress stripes appear when he chases her......

Anywhere here's some info on the spawn tank. Its a 10 gallon filled to about 5-6" of water. The heater is set to 84* And I have 2 IAL inside, which turned the water a nice amber shade. I have 2 fake plants in there, as well as a sponge filter which I currently have set off.

I know a lot of people are concerned about the well being of the fry, so I thought I'd give you some info on what I plan to feed them, and my plans on caring for them. A friend on TFF sent 3 bags of BBS eggs, which I currently have in the fridge. I plan on feeding them the first day the fry are free swimming. I also have had some infusoria growing in a cup for the past 3 weeks. But it was supposed to be for my first spawn, do you think the infusoria would still be good after so long? I don't have a growout tank yet, but my B-day is on March 17,(Turn 18 yay!), and I plan on buying a 20 gallon as well as order beany baby containers online. I also plan to do daily water changes after their first week, and add back an extra half gallon starting the 2nd week. I've done research for the past 3 months, and I've read every possible thread on breeding I could, so hopefully I at least have enough knowledge to keep this spawn alive. That is, if they actually spawn xD

Here are some pics!

Rubicon:

Resized to 79% (was 640 x 480) - Click image to enlarge

Resized to 79% (was 640 x 445) - Click image to enlarge

Umbriel:

Anymore info you guys could give me would be really appreciated! I'm just a little concerned that he won't build a bubblenest.... But hopefully he will :D BTW does anyone know what color Rubicon would be? I have no idea.... It's like a Silver, Pink, Violet, Green, Blue, Red o.o
Panthera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 11:40 AM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

Good luck with your spawn.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 08:14 PM   #3 
indjo
TFK Moderator

I'm not concerned about the nest. As long as they are flirting, they should be fine.

Sorry, but there's something odd about the female. I can't really explain what. It's just that the first picture of her ..... looks odd. But then again you're there to see if she's ready to go or not.

GOOD LUCK!
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote