Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-28-2011, 07:24 PM   #1 
misamiania

5 gal WIP

So I just got my 5 gallon in! :D Like an hour ago. I didn't expect it till tomorrow so I didn't have time to go get gravel which annoys me but that's okay I'm going to the pet stores tomorrow.

I found a new one that I'll be checking out and they just opened a new PetSource nearby. Once again...

Not that I would get anything.... I'm just going for gravel and a few more iteams. I swear

Here we go~

I figured I might as well start it so I put those in there. An there's little bits of fish food floating to start the cycle. Tomorrow when I go into town I'll be getting shrimp to do the shrimp fishless cycle.
misamiania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 08:09 PM   #2 
Lion Mom

I have that tank and it works well. One word of caution, though - ditch the rock & the plants that came with it. The plants are too rough for a betta, IMO, and another poster lost one of her bettas when he got stuck in one of the smaller holes in the rock. :(
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 08:30 PM   #3 
scootshoot

Since you don't have gravel yet, go sand! I was always a gravel person, no idea why but recently made the conversion to sand. Let's just say I will never go back to gravel ever again.
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 08:41 PM   #4 
misamiania

Really? I had thought about sand and I think I do want it. Just not sure where to get sand for it. I think someone mentioned play sand? What do you suggest?

An oh noes! :( I really like the rock too. What if I filled it in with java moss or something? I really like it.

As for the plants, I've used plastiic plants in my other tank. But if I see silk plants I'll try and get those. I'm actually going to do a test in my empty 1.5 gal see how I can do with plants ^^
Old 02-28-2011, 10:19 PM   #5 
scootshoot

Put the sand as main substrate and throw a couple gravel rocks atop to make it look like a beach. This is the bottom of my 14 gallon.

Main issue I had was the food that fell to the bottom. I have cats and the sinkers would lodge themselves in the crevices of my gravel. The cats could not get to em (believe me they tried) and the food would go uneaten. With the sand, any food that falls to the bottom is now being fully consumed. Loving it thus far.

Name:  016.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  126.1 KB
Old 02-28-2011, 10:21 PM   #6 
misamiania

What sand do you suggest? cause I do like the look of sand but totally forgot about it till you mentioned anything.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:24 PM   #7 
scootshoot

I purchased mine from Petco, this type, http://www.petco.com/product/111911/...t=OnSiteSearch

Have to ask others if you plan on going the play sand route.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:46 PM   #8 
Arzela

I use Caribsea Supernaturals sand in my tanks. I've used Tahitian Moon Sand (black) and then the Moonsand (white)...the only bad thing about the white moon sand is that it's superfine and it gets kicked up very easily during water changes. Or at least, more so than other sands. Looks great though.
Arzela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 10:50 PM   #9 
toledoll

When doing water changes with sand will the vacuum suck it up?
toledoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 10:56 PM   #10 
scootshoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by toledoll View Post
When doing water changes with sand will the vacuum suck it up?
My sand setup is only going for a week. Yes I did notice fine sand being sucked up when I had my gravel siphon going the first time cleaning my substrate. But I was a newbie to the whole sand cleaning thing. Got better on my 2nd siphoning. Have to keep the siphon from touching the sand and place it at a height where you notice the vacuum is picking up debris only so you have to keep an eye as you go along adjusting the siphon up and down til you hit the sweet spot. Am sure I will get the technique mastered in future cleanings, lol. Can't just go in and dig like you would do with gravel