Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-03-2011, 06:51 PM   #1 
TelevisionBox

Unhappy Ms. Bubbles is very ill.

I hate to have this be my first post on this forum, but my fish is very sick. At first she got fin rot, so I gave some bettafix to her, the treatment was successful, but then about 4 days later, she didn't want to eat anymore. I did a 100% water change to help her out.

She is still not eating. I started to do epsom salt treatments 2 days ago, because I thought she conspistated. As her tummy was a bit bloated, and that she very stressed about nothing. Now her tummy doesn't look bloated anymore, but she still hadn't pooped. She is now hovering at the top of the tank breathing for dear life even....

Housing
What size is your tank? 1 gallon (Yes, I know it's too small, in about a week, I'm going to cycle my 10 gal. tank, for her and her friends. :D )
What temperature is your tank? Around 78F
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? No

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Flakes with brine shrimp and blood worms.
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 50% every week, sometimes I do 25% twice a week.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? see above
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? A water conditioner with tropical almond leaf extract

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? N/A do not have a testing kit.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Constantly stressed, somewhat faded colour
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? She hovers near the top of the tank.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? about a week ago.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? yes, I have been doing epsom salt treatments.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Nope.
How old is your fish (approximately)? I've had her for 3 months
TelevisionBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 10:53 PM   #2 
turtle10

Okay well this sounds like a water quality issue. In something that small you should have been doing 100% water changes every other day. You never got the ammonia out by only doing partial water changes, it keeps building up.

She is probably stressed because the ammonia is hurting her.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 11:12 PM   #3 
brandonwlee

By your info, your condition shd be alright for your betta, try feeding once per day and take out any uneaten food within 10 minutes, i prefer to use live food at the mean time. Your water change shd be more frequent, use aged water with your water conditioner and almond leave extract shd be fine. if you feed live food, for a 1 gallon tank, i will suggest 100% water change every alternate day until your betta recovers. try it and hope this helps.
brandonwlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 11:12 PM   #4 
TelevisionBox

Thank you for answering. I've been stumped for days.

Well, I've looked up some infomation based on what you've told me, and I'm thinking that may be the issue. It is probably a ammonia, or even nitrite issue. I'm going to head down to Big Als (my local fish shop) tomorrow to get some things for water testing, and some additives to help me with the situation.

Much thanks. Ms. Bubbles, and I appericate it.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:36 PM   #5 
TelevisionBox

Instead of myself making a new thread.... I thought I'd keep the same thread.

She is still very ill, and not eating. Now she seems to be swimming funky, almost like she has swim bladder diease... Her stomach is still swollen, and still hovering near the top of the tank.

I have changed her water 100%, to rid of the anomia, currently re-cycling the tank, for the past 4 days, it seems to be doing better. However, she is still fighting for her life.

I have been starting to do espom salt treatments again... hoping that it will work, I just started today to do so.

Is there any suggestions of what I can do? And, how long does it take to rid of anomia poisioning?
Old 03-07-2011, 09:03 PM   #6 
PewPewPew

I think it takes a while... Are you sure youre doing the epsom correctly?

Youre using water conditioner, right?
You cant cycle a 1 gallon, idk if youre referring to that or not...

I dont really know what I can add, other than keep the water level low to help her swim and breathe easier. Put plants in there to help her rest on.

Do you have a pic?

Is she pineconing?
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 09:12 PM   #7 
peachesxo

You said how often you feed your betta but how MUCH do you feed her when you do?? Bloodworms should not be her staple diet.. If she is floating at the top and her stomache is swollen she probably has SBD ... try fasting her for 2 or 3 days.

And let us know how much you feed her..

And she also probably got the fin rot from the lack of water changes. You should change her water everday, as started.
peachesxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 09:23 PM   #8 
TelevisionBox

@PewPewPew - Yes I am using water conditioner, I am letting the water sit over night aswell.
I know a can't really cycle a 1 gallon tank, I guess I am trying to say that I'm keeping that anomia levels down.

As for epsom salt treatments.. I've been using this guideline, I found it on the forum.

"I would start a 10 day Epsom salt(Not aquarium salt) treatment on him.

Put him in a small QT container that can be floated in the heated tank (attached to the side so it doesn't sink)

Get a clean 1gal jug and fill with dechlorinated water of like temp and add 1tsp/gal Epsom salt(Not aquarium salt) use this water for 100% daily water changes for 2 days-
*then increase the Epsom salt 2tsp/gal and continue the 100% daily water changes with this water for 7 more days-
pre mixing the treatment water will help make water changes and correct dosage easier"

It's the best pictures I have taken, if you need another one. I'll be happy to take another.

@Peachesxo - This is the third week of her not eating anything. I do give her a large variety, mostly flake foods. I don't over feed, and I don't give her too many blood worms, as tempted as I am at times. I maybe feed her 1 maybe 2 blood worms, and maybe around 4-8 flake bits, pending on size.

Last edited by TelevisionBox; 03-07-2011 at 09:37 PM.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:20 PM   #9 
PewPewPew

...I dont think this is a female....? Maybe its just the rot.

She has SEVERE Fin rot. That's from bad water.

From these, I dont see bloating. This is more "bloat"... http://www.bettafish.com/attachment....1&d=1283435340

That treatment is from OFL, right? She knows her stuff.

Again, stop feeding your fish bloodworms, etc. They are treats, like chips to us. Feed it pellets once it begins to look normal.

Again, keep the room dark, the water clean (100% changes each day) and maybe add some aquarium salt. I dont know if you need epsom so much as aquarium salt...I still dont see bloating.

Fast her. They can go for a long time without food. Keep her warm..
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 10:39 PM   #10 
TelevisionBox

I'm pretty sure she's female.... but I could be wrong. I'm not very good with sexing. But, she defintely acts like a female. I'm not really sure if she's a Crowntail Plakat or a Crown. Or maybe even a male. :S

Here's what she/he looked like before she got sick -

Yes that treatment is from OFL.

I don't feed bloodworms all the time. Just here and there.

I'll start to do the aquarium salt instead if you do not think it is bloating.

*sigh* This is all so awful. Thank you though. :) Much appreciated.