Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-01-2011, 04:12 PM   #1 
joyfulmommaof2

Exclamation My fish is sick... don't know what is wrong with him

My betta, Zeuss, lives in a 1 gallon bowl. I change the water once a week. We have only had him for about 6 weeks.... and all of a sudden he has taken a turn for the worst.

He hasn't been eating at all. The last time he ate anything was about 3 days ago... even then he took one bite and was swimming around like crazy and bumping into everything. And also when he took that bite it came out his gills... so I am not sure if he got anything at all.

His coloring which was a beautiful vibrant purple/blue color is no longer. He looks grayish. His fins are pretty clamped too... they aren't fluffy like usual. I noticed a few days ago he had red patches on his face too. He just lays at the bottom and doesn't do anything. Sometimes he will swim at the top... but he is not active... and won't eat. He has been acting like this for about 2 weeks.

I went to the local pet store and they told me to give him betta revive. Which I have been with full water changes the last 2 days but there is no difference. I know it's only been 2 days but I am starting to get a little panicked.

Is it possible he has a bacterial infection or something?? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!!
joyfulmommaof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 04:33 PM   #2 
cjayBetta

1 gallon is too small... he should be in a 2.5g tank w/ a heater keeping the temp between 76-80.

In a 1gallon bowl you should be changing his water in full every other day to make sure the ammonia doesn't get too high. (he could have an ammonia burn)

Not sure about the food coming out his gills tho...

In my opinion you should get him on an aquarium salt treatment for 7-10 days (Water changes everyday) The dosage should be on the container. Also i would invest in a 2.5 gallon tank with a heater. Do 1 50% water change and 1 100% change a week for that size unfiltered.

Sounds like a water quality issue to me.
cjayBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 05:00 PM   #3 
PewPewPew

He needs a heater and more frequent water changes, yes.
Some food does come out of the gills as they chomp. Get him into a warm place until you get a heater.
You need a heater, this is likley why he is ill, in addition to poor water quality.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote