This is a continuation of the thread 'White Fungus in Log' that I started earlier today.
When I started, my water parameters were:
nitrate, nitrite 0
I did several water changes (with temperate/warm water so as to get the temp to equilibrate more quickly). to get the ammonia down to the 0-0.25 range.
However, a quick check of the pH shows that it went UP to about 8.4 -8.8 range. Checked the tap water (cold, after declorination, as I feared that the warmer water was more basic)- it's up in that range, too.
Meanwhile, my Fred is sitting in a quart of water that (while higher in ammonia) is now testing in the 7.4- 7.8 range (no aeration).
Should I run to the store to get distilled water to pull down the pH - or....?