Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-28-2011, 05:47 PM   #1 
c4talys7

Doesn't like his new home?

I've had my two Bettas in a divided 14gal for almost two weeks. One has attempted to build bubble nests and what not (he ends up swimming into it and spreading it apart) but I haven't gotten anything out of the other one. Given he didn't make much of one when I had him in a 1gal with water changed everyday but he tried at least.

Since being in this new take both have been more active but I'm concerned that Pepper (the one who won't attempt a bubble nest) is restless sharing a tank with Noche, my other Betta. I have tried my best to cover the divider so they won't see each other but they always find away. They do ignore each other when they get tired.

Pepper spends a lot of his time moving back and forth across the front of the glass and then swimming in circles. His tail has gotten more ragged since I moved him in too.

Is it possible that he doesn't like his new home? The filter might cause surface movement so that might be why he hasn't tried one but I had the intake reduced pretty well before this and it kept the water calm. I have a sponge over the intake now so that the outtake wouldnt reduce to a trickle.

But yeah, was wondering what the signs were if a Betta didn't like his new home.

Here are some pics of the tank.
These are a little older (like a week) so there's more anacharis along the divider and the divider is much more stable than is looks right now.
c4talys7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 10:15 AM   #2 
Goomba3

It is possible. Some fish prefer a smaller home. I honestly don't know the signs of a fish that isn't happy, it all depends on the fish and how you feel about it. He could be stressed out trying to "defend" a larger space, or he just needs more places to hide. Or he could be perfectly happy and just a naturally grumpy fish. Sorry I don't have any good answers...
Goomba3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 10:31 AM   #3 
demonr6

Well, hopefully I can offer something worthwhile on this topic. I had to take Max home with me last week as I was on vacation. At work here he lives in a 3g tank with all the trappings of home. When I took him home I did my best to accommodate him within reason. He was being kept in a 2g critter keeper, it had gravel some rocks, a betta log and what not. It was heated to the same temperature as his home here at work. The only significant difference was it was not filtered so I was having to do 100% water changes which granted is a stress situation and there were no live plants. His day consisted of hiding in the betta log, little to no activity and he was dull looking (color). Today back in his normal home he is vibrant once again swimming around all over the place and looking for attention like he has always been. I would venture to say maybe there is a likelihood that your little guy is not happy with something in his new digs. Whether or not you can move him into another environment to see if it improves is another story but I had the opportunity to see it happen for myself so.
demonr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 05:12 PM   #4 
c4talys7

I have some worm things in my tank their really really small and white, could it be ick? They're on the side of the tank.

Looks like I'll get to find out if he prefers a smaller home now because I'm putting both fish into separate 1gal bins until I find out the heck is in my tank.
c4talys7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 05:19 PM   #5 
Sweeda88

2 of my males don't bubble nest, and that's fine. It's not a sign they're unhappy, as building them is only instinct, not a sign of happiness.
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote