Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-28-2011, 10:36 PM   #1 
JeanLuc2

Question Really Good Aquarium Stores That ACTUALLY Know Something About Bettas

I live in Wichita, KS and I am having issues finding a good shop that actually knows something about bettas. Our old shop that was around before I got my little Jean-Luc was really good (my CA literally swears by it), and when I went exploring to find this rumored place I went right past it and then had to back-track only to find out that it was for sale .

So, I am stuck using PetSmart that literally does not have a clue what it is talking about (except for the lady that helped me pick out my little Jean-Luc), and the aquarium store that only specializes in tropical fish but don't know anything about bettas ( http://www.theaquariuminoldtown.com/ ) .

Can absolutely anyone PLEASE recommend places for me to go that acutally know a thing about Bettas? This is my first time EVER having a fish and I really need experts who can help me so I don't have to continue to become completely overwhelmed everytime I walk into PetSmart looking for fish supplies.

Any advice is DEEPLY appreciated
JeanLuc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 01:36 AM   #2 
mewso222

Well from what ive seen, this forum is GREAT! just ask people on here then go buy ur needed supplies (:
mewso222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 02:45 AM   #3 
vilmarisv

Yup! Just ask around and read the info provided in the threads... or websites.
The best thing you can do is go into the petstore as an informed customer instead of expecting someone to know everything about a specific fish.

Websites with good info:
http://www.bettasrus.net/index.htm
http://bettysplendens.com
http://www.bettatalk.com

Last edited by vilmarisv; 03-01-2011 at 02:47 AM. Reason: added a few websites
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 03:25 AM   #4 
luvmybetta

Location: When you read my Threads, Posts, Replies, they are being sent from Kansas...Yes, I do have a Toto.
I will try to hook you up with several stores (other than petco, petsmart, walmart, etc). You need to wait a few days; As, I do not have a Wichita telephone directory at my residence. But, I do have access to one; Just not right now. Every one of my fish were purchased in Wichita except for the one Betta I have right now. I need to look at the telephone directory...lol...to remember the names. I will only direct you to the best. Consider this your warning...you are going to want bigger and bigger tanks..
luvmybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 03:54 AM   #5 
luvmybetta

Location: When you read my Threads, Posts, Replies, they are being sent from Kansas...Yes, I do have a Toto.
If you can't wait a few days, type a few names of the stores that you find in the Wichita telephone directory and would like to visit. I will try to help you out based on that information.
luvmybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 04:10 PM   #6 
JeanLuc2

Thanks for the help so far. I am willing to wait for a few days since I got completely overwhelmed when I started doing my own research after I made this thread.

Vilmarisv: Usually I can't find someone who knows everything about Bettas at PetSmart but yesterday when I went in to fix the problem I encountered with my littel boy I managed to find the person that "runs" the fish department and she was able to help me. I have yet to find out if what she suggested works. I will definitely look at the links that you provided.
Old 03-03-2011, 04:32 PM   #7 
MelKurtonic

I despise the Petsmart "fish" people where I live... they know nothing... this one fish "expert" told me that goldfish weren't compatable with any other fish and needed to be by themselves because they kill other fish... complete BS being that goldfish do better in goldfish communities than they do alone. they produce a lot of amonia but if you keep it under control then you have nothing to worry about... which leads me to the betta thing they also told me that a betta can live in a cup of water just fine and that they live in mud puddles in the wild and that it's good for them to put them with other male bettas once in a while to experience aggression... needless to say if I need fish advice I come on here or research it on the internet before stepping foot in a pet store... their employees know absolutely nothing about fish they just hire any average joe that knows how to dip a net into the water... they're all about the sale they don't care about your fish... at another pet store this one lady told my husband that you can fit 5 goldfish in a 5 gallon tank with no problems.... another lady said you can put a betta under a plant... it's sickening how little the pet store employees know about fish around here...
MelKurtonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 04:43 PM   #8 
Sweeda88

Males should NEVER be put in with other males for ANY REASON. If you want to let them exercise aggression, use a mirror.
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 04:54 PM   #9 
MelKurtonic

it sounded fishy even when she was saying it I knew that males couldn't be put together when we started looking but the fact that she was rambling on about it really made me think twice that's when I found the forum and all the information and misinformation about bettas... it's sick that she would even mention that to somebody... next time she tries to tell me something that's not true about fish I'm going to tell the manager
MelKurtonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 05:35 PM   #10 
JeanLuc2

Ya I don't go there unless I don't think I can explain my problem here on the forum. Then again I didn't know this forum existed until last weekend.