Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-28-2011, 11:09 PM   #1 
nerdyninny

Question Can you please help me diagnose this problem?

First off, I apologize for the long post... but I really could use some expert help.

My fish suddenly developed a white/light patch on his head. It was not present this morning. I noticed a small white spot at 6pm, and by 9pm tonight, it became quite noticable (see pics).

My fish has been sick and I've been medicating him. I thought he had velvet and fish rot. He was in really poor shape when it all started (clamped fins, listless, etc).

The water is perfect now, and he has coppersafe and maracyn 2 in the tank. He seems to be acting normal again, energetic, eats, swims around with lots of energy. It's great to see him swimming again!!

Note how there's a dark patch on top of his head as you can see in the first picture below. When I bought him from the store a week ago, he already had that and I thought it was normal. But today, about 1 week since I started his medicine treatment, I noticed the new symptom. I noticed that he has a white splotch on his head. It started as one small patch, and then developed to the pictures below in a matter of 3 hours.

I have no idea if this is normal, or if it's a new issue that I need to treat. Again, I already have medication (coppersafe and maracyn 2) in the tank, and I'm not sure if it's a result of that, or if this is a secondary infection of some sort that needs to be treated.

Can you please help me diagnose whatever this is?

3 days ago:

Recent Pictures:

Last edited by nerdyninny; 02-28-2011 at 11:24 PM.
nerdyninny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 06:04 AM   #2 
Lupin

Location: Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Information Super Highway
What made you suspect velvet? Your betta looks healthy to me except the white peeling (which simply needs salt at a teaspoon per gallon dose) and finrot. Both issues are easily resolved by salt and clean water. No need for copper and antibiotics IMO.
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 10:20 AM   #3 
nerdyninny

He was much much much worse when I started treating him for Velvet. He had all of the sypmtoms of velvet then, which is why I started it.

What is the peeling?
nerdyninny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 06:17 PM   #4 
Lupin

Location: Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Information Super Highway
Either injury or onset of mild case of columnaris. It's why I advised salt.
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote