Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-01-2011, 06:25 AM   #1 
GreenTea

Question Giant tummy on Brutus

So I've noticed that Brutus really likes flakes, as well as normal betta pellets. However, I give maybe one or two small pellets every day or every other day, and whenever I give them to him, his stomach area gets humongous. It looks like [best analogy I can give] he has testicles, you can see each round pellet in his stomach and he looks uncomfortable.

He seems to like the flakes just as much, should I just try fasting him for a few days and then giving him only flakes from now on? He is otherwise active and healthy, in clean, heated water, 2.5 gallons, lives alone, etc.

Thanks for any help! Also I got my second betta today...Platinum body with a pinkish head and green fins, he's a veil tail. I think I'm going to name him Poseidon. Brutus is a giant betta. I have to post some pictures of my boys soon!
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 06:59 AM   #2 
cjayBetta

What I was told was to soak the pellets in his water before giving them to him so they dont expand in his tummy.
cjayBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 07:31 AM   #3 
Oldfishlady

When food causes bloat it is usually due to the food product itself from poor quality ingredients or old food....change brands of pellets......fish have lots of gastric acids and enzymes in their gut and intestines to break the food down.....by soaking food you risk leaching nutrients and the added vit/min in the food product.....if you do feel the need to soak use tiny amounts of tank water or garlic juice......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 08:00 PM   #4 
GreenTea

Thanks for your responses!
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote