Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-01-2011, 02:24 PM   #1 
Sweeda88

Apongeton Bulbs.

I bought some Apongeton bulbs today to add to the tank that I'm cycling. I thought they would really help absorb the ammonia and grow fast. I'm looking forward to watching them sprout! It was so cute when I put them in. Sir Lefty kept chasing them as they fell to the bottom, and nipped at the first one I put in. I also got some test strips, and my nitrite is 0 ppm, my nitrate is around 0-5ppm (stupid strips aren't very accurate), and my ammonia was a bit high, but I changed 25% of the water, and now it's 0ppm. Overall, I'm very happy with how things are going so far. I'm looking forward to getting a snail and some shrimp after the cycle is done.
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 03:22 PM   #2 
JackisLost

I heard less than half of the bulbs in the package sprouts, if at least one of them do, it is well worth the money.
JackisLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 03:46 PM   #3 
JKfish

:D I bought those bulbs, and all have sprouted, one even flowered for me and after a while the flower grew to a baby bulb. I let it be until the baby bulb started sprouting roots, then I snipped it off and planted it. Now I have 7. I found it's best when you just buy the bulbs to stick them in a cup of water with some fish food in it as a source of ammonia. They sprouted in a few days in the cup for me, and only one got moldy (I wiped off the mold and it did fine)

Since you are doing a fish in cycle, make sure do do about 50% weekly water changes to keep the toxins to a manageable level as not to hurt your betta.

Last edited by JKfish; 03-01-2011 at 03:48 PM.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 03:53 PM   #4 
Sweeda88

I know, I'm doing water changes almost every day. I was told it was best to do a 25% every day. Is that true?
Old 03-01-2011, 04:12 PM   #5 
JKfish

It depends on the size of your tank. Mine is a 10 gallon with a lot of wisteria, a java fern and two growing aponogeton bulbs, and only one betta, so at the moment, I do a 20% water change once a week (though I don't need to seeing as the plants so far are taking care of all the ammonia/toxins). Smaller tanks without plants might need more.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 04:50 PM   #6 
Sweeda88

Mine is a 5 gallon, with the live plant bulbs, which I just put in. What would you suggest? I can do daily water changes because I'm always home, so if that is what I need to do, I will still do it.
Old 03-01-2011, 04:50 PM   #7 
small fry

Aponogeton doesn't absorb ammonia as fast as alot of other plants, but it is still a great plant. Generally faster growing plants absorb more ammonia than slower growing plants. Stem plants grow pretty fast (e.g. hornwort, wisteria, anacharis, etc) and absorb alot of nutrients, but they need some type lighting.

My aponogeton is finally starting to get big. I don't know what was wrong with it but I put it in my tank more than 7 months ago and it is just starting to mature. I think it had something to do with the Flourish I just started adding afew months back.

Good plant!
small fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 04:51 PM   #8 
Sweeda88

I might get some Anacharis. They have it at my LFS for $3.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:19 PM   #9 
small fry

Walmart has the bulbs in assorted sizes for about $3, but alot of the bulbs will not grow.
small fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 05:22 PM   #10 
Sweeda88

I know, Small fry. That's what I got. I know some won't grow.