Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-01-2011, 03:22 PM   #1 
bentley10

Please help!

Hi guys I am new to this site so I want to fully explain my problem with my betta. I am really worried about him! I have a 1 1/2-2 year old betta (Bentley) that is acting strangely. I had him since summer of 09 and he has been the best betta I have had. About two weeks ago, he started to get swim bladder disease and I thought he was going to die. So what I did is remove his live plant and replace it with an artificial one (I heard live plants can harm them), put in a heater, clean the entire 2.5 gallon tank, reduce his diet to 3 pellets and one bloodworm a day, and started feeding him peas. He didn't eat the peas so I fasted him for about 3 days and then started feeding him gradually until the diet explained above. He has been getting better and moving around more often. But about 5 days ago, he has been acting like never before. He always used to be shy when I would get close and he would swim away. The past few days, he has been extremely scared, darting around the cage and crashing into the gravel, the tank wall, and nearby plants that sounded like it really hurt him. He can't seem to hold up his tail (which is abnormally long for a betta) which could be because of his age, so he is swimming diagonally against the filter current. I don't want him to be terrified of me and not come to the top to eat like he always used to!! please if anyone has experience of this situation, reply ASAP! I don't want to lose him!
bentley10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 04:18 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum and sorry you are having problems......a few question...

Before the last water change 2 weeks ago-what kind of water change schedule did you make and what kind and how much water are you changing since the water change 2 weeks ago, water temp and additive used...it 2.5gal filter tank...correct? and he is the only fish in the tank....no shrimp or snails...correct.....

He has been healthy for the 1.5yr you have had him.......2 weeks ago possible swim bladder problem or buoyancy issues other than the water change, fed pea, fast and removal of the live plant...did you do any treatment or use any medication?

Do you know how old he was when you first bought him?
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 04:25 PM   #3 
JKfish

IMO, live plants are much better than fake ones seeing as they won't rip fins and help with water quality.

You should be doing two 50% and a 100% water change each week in a 2.5 gallon (make sure you use water conditioner). Try pre-soaking his pellets and fasting him one day of the week rather than giving him a pea. If the filter is bothering him, baffle it or take it out all together.

if you could answer OFL's questions and these questions as well, that'd be very helpful :)
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 10:39 PM   #4 
bentley10

Bentley questions

Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 80F
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? nothing

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? pellets and bloodworms
How often do you feed your betta fish? 3 pellets and a bloodworm a day (two pellets day, one pellet and bloodworm night)

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? every week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 20% (0.5 gallon)
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
No, I haven't
Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? he has a somewhat extended belly but much better now
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? he is very skittish, won't let me get near his tank without freaking out, somewhat sluggish
When did you start noticing the symptoms? about 3 weeks ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? tried the pea method, water changes, warming the water, etc.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no
How old is your fish (approximately)? 2 years

Last edited by bentley10; 03-01-2011 at 10:42 PM.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:58 PM   #5 
bentley10

pics

Here are some pics of Bentley and his tank :)
Attached Images

Old 03-02-2011, 06:43 AM   #6 
JKfish

IMO, apart from looking bloated, he looks really healthy. Just fast him a day or two and see if that helps. As for being skittish, maybe if you have a cave or something for him to hide in he'll feel more safe.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 10:42 AM   #7 
Oldfishlady

I agree fast for a few days and start some 50% water only changes for the next 2-3 days to get the water quality improved.....then get on a regular schedule of twice weekly 50% thereafter to maintain water quality....

Keep us posted.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 02:08 PM   #8 
bentley10

thanks!

Thank you for your advice. I will start 50% water only changes today and do it for three days and then biweekly 50% changes thereafter. The only reason why I try not to change that much water at one time is the thought of him getting stressed at that much water change. But you have more experience so I will do it. I will fast him for the 3 days I consecutively change the water. I will also soften his pellets in water before giving them to him after the fasting and cut his bloodworm intake to one every 2 days. I will keep you posted on his health status!