Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-28-2011, 03:48 PM   #1 
mewso222

Angry Omg seriously??

After one day my moms veil tail betta started building a bubble nest in his 1gallon tall tank!
I put my into the 10gal yesterday and nothing, before that he sat in a 2gallon bowl for 3days!! i am so jealous!!!
mewso222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 05:06 PM   #2 
PitGurl

My guy is in a heated, lighted and filtered tank with lots of plants and still no bubble nest. I've had him for almost a month now. He's active and happy. I've never had a boy not build a nest, it's bugging me so much.
PitGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 07:09 PM   #3 
baylee767

Bubblenest's actually aren't a sign of happiness. In fact, half of the Bettas on this website don't build bubblenest's. IMO it's natural instinct, and they'll do if bored or around another Betta.

Trust me, Neon built bubblenest's constantly in his 2.5 gallon and was hardly active and in his 10 gallon where he never stops moving there is no bubblenest.

EDIT: then again, it took Neon over a month to build his first bubblenest, and after that he was working on them constantly.
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 09:58 PM   #4 
Luimeril

i have five males. Cup will bubble nest if he sees me alot. Zidane will build these MASSIVE bubble nests, for seemingly no reason. Hyde... tries, bless his little ill heart. Dante? not very often. almost never. Theo, my partly-blind boy? build one up the DAY i put him in his 2.5. within an hour, he had this rather large nest built up around leaves from a plant that was sticking up. it depends on the betta, and how much or little current they have going on.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 10:02 AM   #5 
PewPewPew

Like they said- its just a natural thing they do. Its not a sure-fire sign theyre happy, but often it is a sign of content. Ive heard of bettas who build them after getting sick or torn up, too, though.
Do more research on their behavoir... ;)
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 10:05 AM   #6 
RiverStoneBetta

Yeah, most of my boys don't build nest anymore because of filter current. I'm thinking about putting something on the surface so he can build one under it. I've heard cutting a styrofoam cup in half works pretty well.
RiverStoneBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 10:23 AM   #7 
PewPewPew

I have a decent bit of current but it still wont KO my boy'd nests...How strong is yours? A few ripples isnt too bad, but large distruption on the surface is detramental to a bettas well being and stress.
Also, if its creating a huge current underneath where it deposits back, it might hurt! Maybe baffle it instead with sponge or even jamming up (careful!) the waterfall.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 11:12 AM   #8 
RiverStoneBetta

The current isn't bad, just ripples on the surface. None of my fish have problems with filters. It looks like Boba fights the current, but I've seen him squirm and spazz for food and three minutes later hold perfectly still without so much as a fin movement in the same spot. He's never built a nest for as long as I've had him.

Quinn is picky. If the water is completely stagnant, he'll build huge masterpieces that take up half the tank. You put so much as an airstone in the tank, and he'll destroy it. The filter won't break it apart, he will. I don't know why.

Flynn only built his around the heater, and then only in the summer when more sunlight poured into my room.
RiverStoneBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 11:26 AM   #9 
Luimeril

all the males i've owned, who were bubble nesters before getting ill, quit after being ill. even little Weiss would attempt nests before he got ill. Hyde would build the cutest little nests, and they'd be taller than wider. after he got ill, i've not seen a nest since. so, to me, it's a sign of health. sick animals, don't give two cares about having babies, so why would they nest while ill? o.o just my view.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 10:38 AM   #10 
denaliwind

Well, not sure if this suggests anything, but my Noonie makes an enormous bubble nest that he tends to for a couple days ALWAYS after I do a full clean of his tank and on no other occasion, it's like clockwork. I like to think he enjoys the clean water, but that's just me. ;)
But really, I do know that it just depends on the Betta, some will live their entire life never building a nest, regardless of how good their tank conditions are. Chaucer my other fish has never built a nest and he has the same setup as Noonie.

Last edited by denaliwind; 03-02-2011 at 10:40 AM.
denaliwind is offline   Reply With Quote