Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Art
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-07-2011, 12:50 PM   #41 
TheKingsFish

Balthazar: Part I

Unlike most males at the pet shop, my short fins left me on the shelf among the females because that is what the breeder told them I was. The humans who took me with them did not think otherwise. They even had the nerve to give me a female's name: they called me KATE. Kate?! What sort of a name was Kate? I was MALE. They kept me in a separate container for a few days before putting me in a tank, thinking that I was just an aggressive female. In an effort to prove that I was not, I gave chase to the girls and drove them into hiding. How could they not realize that I was not what I appeared?
TheKingsFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 07:16 AM   #42 
Guppie luver

Ooooo
Guppie luver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 06:50 AM   #43 
TheKingsFish

Viola: Part I

Things had finally begun to settle down and some semblance of normalcy had formed within the tank, even in the absence of the sister the humans called Hero. Cordelia took over as the head female and occasionally gave chase, but there was no aggression to be found in our home until they put the strange new Cambodian in with us. We thought at first that it was just an angry female, but the smell of him and his manner soon demonstrated otherwise: he gave us all a lot of trouble and put a great deal of strain on Corde's patience. Silvia and I hid and let him have the run of the tank while Cordelia tried to put him in his place and Ophelia tried to calm Cordelia. He nipped at us and all we could do was run and hide. He was a bully who said little more than "get out of my way," or "KATE?! Why must they always call me Kate?"
Old 04-10-2011, 09:22 AM   #44 
Guppie luver

Keep going!
Old 04-11-2011, 02:35 AM   #45 
TheKingsFish

Hero: Part III

The water was a lot cooler than what I was used to in the tank that I shared with my sisters, and the red silk leaves that hung from the floating green pontoon weren't nearly as nice as the real plants in my home, but they supplied enough darkness to kill off the gauze that wrapped itself around me. The water was slightly yellow and had a strange medicinal taste, but it felt good on the open wounds. The Big Keeper had me on her desk next to the big thinking box, moving her fingers on a board that clicked at every touch while the lights shifted to and fro on a screen above me. Sometimes she used a large device with a cord that went into the thinking box: it must not have liked this very much, because sometimes it gave small screams and whimpers that sounded like the throes of an agonizing death. Sometimes the box spoke to her in the human's language with a startlingly loud voice that the Big Keeper called a Danielle. Sometimes the Little Keeper read stories to the Danielle that made it make amused sounds, like the humans did when they were happy. I tried to catch their attention when they brought the new boy home, but in time I was distracted by the more impressive red male that sat in the jar next to the heater they used to warm the room. We would often wag our fins at each other, and sometimes we would talk. The humans say talking is important when you meet a male, don't they?

He said his name was Hamlet, and he wanted to know if I came to his table often, because he had never seen me there before. He must have been the boy that Ophelia was telling us about. She never mentioned that he was so handsome though. I wondered if he would come to stay with me if I showed him the white patch on my belly often enough?
Old 04-11-2011, 11:14 PM   #46 
TheKingsFish

Cordelia: Part III

Things had gotten to the point where I could no longer cope: the sorority was getting out of hand and the young male the humans had left with us was an absolute terror. If that wasn't enough, we had the added strain of living in a cycling tank that these novice Keepers had no idea what to do with. They used all manner of chemicals and media to try to make the water clearer and had only just begun the constant changes that were truly required. I sighed and hid beside the heater. Ophelia came and went in her efforts to keep me company, and from time to time I would raise my head to snatch at the freeze dried worms and flakes that sometimes drifted my way. What was the use? The humans knew nothing and I no longer had the will or the power to be the leader these fish needed. Silvia and Viola now hid in terror and Hero was the only female who would have ever dared to stand up to Kate. He snapped at anyone who dared to call him that before returning sulkily to his attempts at building a bubble nest and pouting for food. I missed the hulking form of Hero, and pined for her even while Ophelia attempted to catch my attention.
"You should go be a fish," she would sometimes whisper.
"To what end?" I would ask in reply.
"Things will get better. You'll see."

The humans noticed my despondency and removed me from the tank after a few days of my unchanged behaviour. The water was clean and devoid of uneaten food, though a little cold. The canning jar they placed me in did not occupy a great deal of surface area, but I was on my own and happy as a clam to be there. I could see Hero in a hospital jar with an ugly silk plant, while the huge figure of a veil tail male splayed in the corner of my vision like a large pool of fresh blood. They noted the second shift in my behaviour and put me back in the tank to face the sources of my displeasure. They couldn't figure out why my condition declined so quickly even after the return of Hero. Novices.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:17 PM   #47 
TheKingsFish

I promise there will be more, but I will have to disappear for a few days while I greet the rush of last minute assignments. Thanks for reading...see you soon.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:35 AM   #48 
Guppie luver

ooo good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-16-2011, 05:38 PM   #49 
dramaqueen
Banned

Good story!!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 05:46 AM   #50 
TheKingsFish

2 exams done, 2 to go. After that, I will give you more.