Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-04-2011, 01:39 PM   #31 
monroe0704

Quote:
Originally Posted by Here Fishy Fishy Fishy View Post
Soft lights! Wine! Micheal Bolton music! Silk sheets! Arrrgggh! :(
Hahah I wish it was that easy! I'm hoping that since it's both of their's first time that it'll just take a bit longer than usual... I might separate them and introduce her again in a few hours. BUT I wanted to wait until I got some suggestions lol
monroe0704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 02:06 PM   #32 
1fish2fish

I'm not one of those who likes to constantly remove the female. As long as they are being peaceful towards one another I say let them be. If they start to get too aggressive then I would take them out and re-condition.

I've had a pair that was similar.. just swimming around happy as can be and took 4 days to spawn. After that I started using the 5 gallon instead of the 10 gallon because I think 10 gallons may make it too easy for them to loose one another.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 02:07 PM   #33 
monroe0704

Thanks for the suggestion! Since I'm still a newbie, I didn't know what method would work best with them. I typically opt for the more natural circumstances, but I'm here to learn, not to stick to my ways hahah. I'll still leave them be. The male lost a bit of fin chasing the female early on in the spawning, but it's not major and they both still seem active and healthy. I'll just keep track of them!
Old 03-04-2011, 02:15 PM   #34 
BettaMama11

Gorgeous fish! How exciting, they look so cute together!!!
BettaMama11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 02:25 PM   #35 
1fish2fish

Yeah.. with males with really long fins like his there's really no escaping fin damage unless they get right down to business with little/no chasing. Their fins get torn just from the excessive chasing through plants/hides, etc not even from actual biting. Usually it heals right up though in about a week after taking them out of the tank IME
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 04:50 PM   #36 
Dragonlady

It is common for the female to test the male by nipping his fins. The female wants a nice strong male that can defend the nest because only the strongest and smartest survive in the wild. She probably nudged his side first to entice him to wrap her and she nipped his fins when he did not do what she expected. She may have rejected him. If she is not head down in a submissive posture it might be a good idea to try again in at least 2 weeks after reconditioning. You could also try another female after reconditioning. IME, it is not uncommon for male betta imports to be TDTB(too dumb to breed).

Last edited by Dragonlady; 03-04-2011 at 04:56 PM.
Dragonlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 12:23 AM   #37 
dramaqueen
Banned

How about a nice candlelight bloodworm dinner. lol
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 09:36 AM   #38 
mernincrazy8525

sign me up to have a male with the females coloring. I would love to have one of them to breed with my metallic MG female.
mernincrazy8525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 10:47 AM   #39 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

Well... I never would have guessed getting bettas to breed would be so tricky. I always read about how the bettas can be damaged in breeding, and to watch out for aggressive behavior... but nothing about this kind of situation...
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 02:57 PM   #40 
monroe0704

Well the same old same old happened... Nothing lol. They really seemed like they were engaging each other but it is starting to seem like the female rejected the male like dragonlady said. I've separated them to rest and feed them. I may try another pair, or I might just wait the two weeks for this pair to recuperate. They've been the closest to spawning! Why do none of my bettas like each other?? LOL. Oh well this is yet another good learning process... Sorry for those excited about the babies :(