Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-01-2011, 07:34 PM   #1 
drkeni9ma

Unhappy New Female HMPK

Hello, my female HMPK seems so nervous I've place her in a 4x4 tank and whenever I hold/move the tank she seems so shocked and she jump and jump.. and she's not a swimmer, when you look at her you might think she's dead but she move from time to time.. I'm so worried. All her fins and scales looked fine..
drkeni9ma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 07:59 PM   #2 
PitGurl

Can you give us a little more info on her tank? You mean 4x4 inches? If so that is too small for a permenent home. She need to be in something that can be heated. She is probably cold, that is why she's not moving much. How often do you do water changes? Why are you holding/moving her tank. You may be freaking her out a bit.
PitGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 08:11 PM   #3 
Luimeril

i agree, that it sounds like a really small tank. my females are jumpy, when i gotta move their tanks around, too, so i avoid doing it unless it's Water Change Day. if she has lots of plants, a cave, and if you don't move her around alot, she'll be just fine. does she have a heater?
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 08:21 PM   #4 
drkeni9ma

Thanks PitGurl and Luimeril for a quick reply..

yea its a small tank 4x4 inches.. I have 3 female betta's and I need 3 more to keep them in a 5 gallon tank.. right now she doesn't have a heater but as soon as I get 3 more female betta's then I will place the heater on them..
Old 03-01-2011, 08:23 PM   #5 
Luimeril

then, the whole issue, is that she's horridly cold and you scare her when you pick her tank up. if you can, get her, and her soon-to-be sorority sisters 2.5 gallon Kritter Keepers. they're only $10, and you can get then all little heaters. that way, you also have spare tanks, in case one girl gets catty with the others and nips too roughly.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:26 PM   #6 
PitGurl

Do you have a heating pad you can put under her? If you do put it on low and slide it under her tank. This will help temporarily. Just make sure you check the water for the first hour or so to make sure it's not too warm.
PitGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 08:32 PM   #7 
drkeni9ma

@Luimeril what's a Kritter Keepers? if one girl gets catty I should place her in a separate tank? (like a prison tank) hehehe then when will I place her back?

@PitGurl I don't have a heating pad.. I have a lamp with aluminum cover and its really hot.. Do you think its good place her tank on top of the lamp for a while?
Old 03-01-2011, 08:34 PM   #8 
maycausedeath

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkeni9ma View Post
Thanks PitGurl and Luimeril for a quick reply..

yea its a small tank 4x4 inches.. I have 3 female betta's and I need 3 more to keep them in a 5 gallon tank.. right now she doesn't have a heater but as soon as I get 3 more female betta's then I will place the heater on them..
Are you planning a sorority for a 5 gallon?
maycausedeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 08:35 PM   #9 
Luimeril

http://www.houstonherp.com/KritterKeepers.jpg
those are Kritter Keepers. there's all kinds of off-brands to them, but the prices are about the same. a 2.5 gallon one's around $10, give or take a few bucks.

i'm not all that great with sororities, since i don't have one myself, but yeah, if one girl starts being really mean, you may have to give her a tank to herself.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:43 PM   #10 
drkeni9ma

@maycausedeath Yes I'm planning to have a sorority tank in 5 gallons atleast 6 of them.. or maybe 2.5 gallons with 5 female.. may I ask why?

@Luimeril Thanks!