Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-01-2011, 09:52 PM   #1 
Luliyuhrouwn

frog...ugh.

I need a stupid question answered, and although I've googled til I'm blue in the fingers, I keep getting conflicting answers.
I have the Aqueon minibow 2.5 with a heater (kept at about 78*), no filter, with Skeeter, my double tail half moon (he's precious, btw).
I really really wanted to put one African Dwarf Frog in there, so I've been reading (for hours upon hours) about stocking limitations, compatabilty, and general care for the frogs.
While I've come to the conclusion they're definately compatable, I'm confused as to whether adding one frog will "overstock" the tank. I do two 50% and one 100% water changes weekly.
I'm also unsure as to whether they need to be kept in groups, some say that one frog will be fine, as long as it has hiding spots and the betta isn't overly aggressive. Others say they need to be kept in at least groups of 2-3, which is obviously not going to work for my lil baby tank.
Basically, is it doable to have one dwarf frog and betta in a 2.5 heated tank?
(just as an aside, I mean african dwarf frog, NOT african clawed frog. kinda obvious but stil...)
...sorry for the novel.
Luliyuhrouwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 10:04 PM   #2 
Wellsville

ADF's really do prefer to have a friend but I have heard of them being kept happy and healthy by themselves as long as they do have plenty of hiding spaces and decorations to entertain themselves.
Wellsville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 10:18 PM   #3 
Luliyuhrouwn

Thanks. How do you think it will do in a tank that size, with a male betta? He doesn't seem terribly aggressive, but in all honesty, I haven't had him very long, so I could be wrong.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:56 PM   #4 
Wellsville

He will probably be just fine. I have two bettas and have kept ADFs with both of them with no problems. You do enough water changes that your frog should be just fine. Really make sure that you don't overfeed because the food makes the water really nasty very quick. Also make sure you place the food in some sort of a small bowl to make feeding easier. They sell bowls for newts/salamanders in most pet stores. I recommend vacuuming the gravel during at least one of the weekly water changes to make sure you get all the food. These guys are really fun to watch when they eat and when they are just hanging out.
Wellsville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 12:10 AM   #5 
shinybetta

The frogs definately need to be kept in groups. And 2.5 gallons is too small for multiple frogs. I wouldn't do it.
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 12:29 AM   #6 
Luliyuhrouwn

Ok I assumed as much, but thank you both for your help.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:39 AM   #7 
Malvolti

As has been said, yes you CAN but I would recommend against it. Frogs can live fine on their own and the general stocking rule with them is 1 gallon each.

From experiance I can tell you the frogs are MUCH happier in groups of at least 2, even more so in groups of 3+. They also need a lot of hiding places and should have some floating plants to hold onto while breathing.

Basically you have to ask yourself what is more important to you; Having a frog or having a HAPPY frog. If you want happy frogs then I would say get a 10 gallon and heavily plant it before you look at frogs.
Malvolti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 09:02 AM   #8 
danifacetastic

I had 2 ADF's in my divided 10 gallon that's divided 3 ways with one frog on each outside section and they were fine until they started hopping sections and the betta in the middle started biting them. They got traumatized and died within a week : / But if they get a long it should be fine. Be noted though you have to feed the frog with tweezers or your hand...you can't just drop pellets in there cause they have really bad eyesight and also the betta will get to it first.
danifacetastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 10:29 AM   #9 
Luliyuhrouwn

As I said above I currently only have a 2.5 set up, I have a 10 gallon, it's just not being used. So I'm just gonna stick with Skeeter, and when the 10 gallon is set up, maybe we'll go from there. I appreciate everyone's help and advice though, very informative.
Old 03-03-2011, 11:33 AM   #10 
Malvolti

Quote:
Originally Posted by danifacetastic View Post
Be noted though you have to feed the frog with tweezers or your hand...you can't just drop pellets in there cause they have really bad eyesight and also the betta will get to it first.
A lot of people say this but I've never had a problem. I just make sure I put the food in at the same place and time every day while I feed my Bettas and the frogs get plenty of food. However I also use a lot of live or frozen foods so they can smell it, they have a great sense of smell since they are practically blind.

@Luliyuhrouwn: That's probably wisest. It's always a good idea to ease into fish keeping so you have time to adjust.
Malvolti is offline   Reply With Quote