Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-01-2011, 10:42 PM   #1 
TheRealAbish

Bubble Nest.

So I purchased my male veiltail about a week ago. For the past few days, he has maintained a rather large bubble nest (every night, he adds to it - it takes up 25% of the surface of his tank now). It is time for me to change his water, do I remove the bubble nest/and will keeping future ones in the tank for somewhat extended periods of time affect water quality/anything important?

He is my first Betta, so I really have no idea what to do. Researching has only told me what the nest is for, not how long it is supposed to last. My little guy seems very content to play with the nest though, so I was hesitant to remove it preemptively. It's been a few days, and I am wondering when this thing will expire. XD

Any comments will be appreciated. :) And if this is not the proper section to post this thread, I will move it posthaste.

Thanks!

Last edited by TheRealAbish; 03-01-2011 at 10:43 PM. Reason: Forgot a detail. Sorry!
TheRealAbish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 11:20 PM   #2 
briser

I always remove the nests when I do water changes, within an hour my guy is back to making another one! haha.
briser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 01:19 AM   #3 
drkeni9ma

Its okay to remove the bubble nest when changing water.. They'll make another one..
drkeni9ma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 01:34 AM   #4 
baylee767

Yup it's okay to remove it, but you posted this in the wrong section lol.
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 01:43 AM   #5 
StarSpun

Location: Toronto, Canada for the warm months, on an RV somewhere warm during the cold ones!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealAbish View Post
So I purchased my male veiltail about a week ago. For the past few days, he has maintained a rather large bubble nest (every night, he adds to it - it takes up 25% of the surface of his tank now). It is time for me to change his water, do I remove the bubble nest/and will keeping future ones in the tank for somewhat extended periods of time affect water quality/anything important?

He is my first Betta, so I really have no idea what to do. Researching has only told me what the nest is for, not how long it is supposed to last. My little guy seems very content to play with the nest though, so I was hesitant to remove it preemptively. It's been a few days, and I am wondering when this thing will expire. XD

Any comments will be appreciated. :) And if this is not the proper section to post this thread, I will move it posthaste.

Thanks!

As for me, I take a spoon and save it for his fresh change of water. I'm a sucker, I know....

StarSpun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 11:59 PM   #6 
TheRealAbish

Thanks for the advice. :)

I cleaned it out when I changed the water and he just keeps making new ones. Betta fish are so cute! I've never seen any other fish do this.

Is it normal for there to be a layer of stuff on the water surface when there is a nest present? I tried skimming it off, but it looks like it's coming from the nest. >_<

(Where should I move this thread to, if I even have that ability? I don't want to mess up the organization of these boards). :/
TheRealAbish is offline   Reply With Quote