Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-02-2011, 12:37 AM   #1 
baylee767

Tannins with teabags?

I asked before but it got waaay off topic.

Basically, can I add tannins to a 10g tank using a black tea bag? If so how do I add the tannins, just putting the bag in the tank? Andhow long would I leave it in, if at all? When Would I switch it out?

Basically how can I make tannins with a tea bag

For permanent living...
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 12:53 AM   #2 
Malvolti

Usually when I want to add tannins to my water for treatment purposes I put the teabags in my water change jugs. I suppose you could put it in the filter or something but it may get too dark to see inside the tank which defeats the purpose.

As for long term use I don't know. I'd imagine a little couldn't hurt since their natural habitat would have a small amount of tanins already. On the other hand these guys are usually many generations removed from the wild so who knows for sure.

The other thing is it depends on the tea, I always look for all natural, no additives, organic green tea (easy enough to find in a chinese grocer). Don't know about black tea but it's all just leaves right?

I actually had a similar thought recently. I have a 10 gallon community (Bettas, frogs, snails and shrimp) and I wondered if the tanins would hurt the frogs, snails and shrimp or make them happier.
Malvolti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 01:14 AM   #3 
baylee767

I think tannins are good for everything!

I want the water brown (= so go for natural and put in filter... thanks!
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 01:55 AM   #4 
luvmybetta

Location: When you read my Threads, Posts, Replies, they are being sent from Kansas...Yes, I do have a Toto.
I read somewhere about using chamomile tea bags. But, you mentioned that you want a lot more tint to the water. Just another option.
luvmybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 02:34 AM   #5 
vilmarisv

Don't you have Indian Almond Trees in Hawaii??
I thought there were common over there... they surely are in Puerto Rico where I'm originally from. I would check that out, you might have one closer than you think!
You could also use banana leaves for tannins... don't know how dark the water will be with those but it's another option.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 08:25 AM   #6 
BlueHaven

I've heard of using tea bags, if people use it successfully then it shouldn't be a problem ~
C:

But it might be a specific kind.

I went to a grocery store and could not find banana leaves!!
Where could I find them....?
BlueHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 12:37 PM   #7 
1fish2fish

You should try asking OFL.. She might have some non-IAL/Bannna leaf options for you.

BlueHaven.. I think you can get banana leaf at drug stores like GNC but don't quote me on that. If I was going to use them I'd probably order them online like I do my IAL.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 01:07 PM   #8 
LisaLB24

Pardon my noobiness, but are tannins good for bettas? I have mopani in my new 10g that is turning my water into some delicious looking tea...so far I've resisted drinking it;)
I've been doing a 10-20% water change every few days just to keep the water clearer, even though it's a cycled tank.
I wasn't worried about it because I've read everywhere tannins don't hurt, but I didn't know they are a good thing! How do they benefit?
LisaLB24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 03:26 PM   #9 
Lion Mom

I thought the tea bag thing was decaffeinated green tea? I may be wrong, but thought that is what I read.
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 03:32 PM   #10 
tsoto80

In my 20 gallon I used 4 decaf green tea and I guess I let it sit too long cause it turned my water way too dark lol I could barely see the fish or decor the tank even smelled like tea haha
tsoto80 is offline   Reply With Quote