Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-02-2011, 03:37 PM   #11 
BlueHaven

LionMom ~ I think your right! :D

And thank you 1fish2fish!
I will look for it there or similar stores, :)
BlueHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 03:52 PM   #12 
1fish2fish

Tannins are good for Bettas... it's said it improves scale and fin strength and also helps with the immune system.

All I can say is I've seen a marked improvement in my fish since I started using it full time. They seem shinier, more active, and in better health. Of course I also take great care of my fish (not to toot my own horn) so that has a lot to do with it. IAL is not magic but I think it is beneficial.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 05:16 PM   #13 
vilmarisv

BlueHeaven: Lately I've seen a few grocery stores carrying banana leaves in the frozen food section... also saw them with the fresh veggies but that's over here...
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 06:58 PM   #14 
baylee767

Hmmm, never thought of banana leaves! And I just assumed indian almond trees wouldn't be here... time for some google! Leafs sound a ton less complicated than bags. I hear you can just put the leaf in the tank and leave it till it disinagrates. Anyways, going to see if indian almond trees are here!
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 08:10 PM   #15 
1fish2fish

The real name is kettapang (or some similar spelling)... you should probably search for that name if you want to see if the trees grow locally. If they do remember that you must only pick up leaves that have already fallen, not ones still on the tree.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 08:24 PM   #16 
vilmarisv

Here's a webstie with lost of pictures of the IATree: http://toptropicals.com/catalog/uid/...ia_catappa.htm
These trees are one of the few species that will change color with the seasons in PR.
My grandmother had one in her front yard and I used to sit and crack the seeds open for hours... memories
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 09:07 PM   #17 
BlueHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilmarisv View Post
BlueHeaven: Lately I've seen a few grocery stores carrying banana leaves in the frozen food section... also saw them with the fresh veggies but that's over here...
Cool, thanks!
I might be able to find them here, I thought I have seen them before in one place but I may be remembering wrong....haha
It's just a store that is farther away I am thinking of.

Edit:
I found decaf green tea and heated it up like I was going to drink it, but let it cool down first to be around the same as the temperature in the aquarium, and put it in Thai's tank. Is seems to be doing well so far, though you may want to use more than one. Mine only came out a very very light yellowy color.

:)

Last edited by BlueHaven; 03-02-2011 at 09:22 PM.
BlueHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 09:40 AM   #18 
catappa leaves

Hi members,

Take a look at my site at Catappa Leaves Online Store. How to Use The Leaves ?. and read about the differents is using the leaf itself and the Tea Bags.
catappa leaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 03:38 PM   #19 
LolaQuigs

I'm currently using decaf green tea. If you use tea, make sure it's decaf, natural, and there aren't any addition ingredients. Organic is preferred, because who wants the risk of pesticides? The green tea darkens the water nicely, and I can tell it has really helped ease the stress of my tail biter. The status of green tea as a source of tannins is a little murky. Old Fish Lady told me this...in theory, green tea should be a good source of tannins, but the high heat used to dry and process the tea may or may not affect its efficacy, we really don't know.

I have ordered some IAL and can't wait to try it. I have, however, found the green tea to be very helpful while I wait for the IAL to arrive.
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote