Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-25-2011, 05:07 PM   #1 
crownbettavt

Hello Betta Community

hello everyone...I am new to the betta world..I just bought a crowntail betta from my local petco and he is awesome...he is royal blue in color getting lighter royal blue as you move towards the tips of the fins..he is very lively...I will post pictures sometime this weeked for all to see...I bought him more of a decorative piece next to my television but I do plan to take good care of him and not treat him as a decorative piece..any advice..??
Right now he is in a Crown Royal Gallon handle...I figure Crown for
Crown...I change the water on sundays and thursdays...I feed him pellets and bloodworms daily...I usually Skip the feeding on sundays when I clean the tank...he seems happy in the bottle...there are some air bubbles at the top of the water mainly when I have the light on for heat...it doesn't effect the fish..

This is not my first betta. I had one for two years in high school; after my uncle died my aunt gave it to me...my parents killed him when I left for college..Thats it for now..

OH YA NAME IDEAS?????? PICTURES TO COME
crownbettavt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 05:13 PM   #2 
1fish2fish

You need more than just a light for a heater. Temperature swings are harmful for fish because they are ectothermic. A reliable submersible heater is a must have.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 05:17 PM   #3 
crownbettavt

I don't use the light for heat...my house is a constant 73 degrees so I assume the water is right around there...I use it so I can see him at night...for like an hour or so before I go to bed...
Old 02-25-2011, 05:19 PM   #4 
1fish2fish

73 is too low for a betta. They need temps of a minimum of 76* with 78-80* being best for the health of the fish.

If the room temperature is 73 chances are the temp of the water is a couple degrees lower.
Old 02-25-2011, 05:20 PM   #5 
crownbettavt

okay...good to know...thank you...
Old 02-25-2011, 05:21 PM   #6 
crownbettavt

any suggestions for heaters?
Old 02-25-2011, 05:34 PM   #7 
1fish2fish

For a 1 gallon I would suggest either a 7.5 watt hydor mini-heater, a 10 watt marineland stealth heater, or a tetra heater for 2-15 gallons (these are the ones that come from walmart).

You'll also need a thermometer to make sure the temperature doesn't get too warm. The bad things about 1 gallon containers is they're hard to heat, and need frequent water changes because the wastes build up quite fast.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:04 PM   #8 
wildmagic713

Yeah, if you're on a one gallon tank, with or without a filter, it needs more frequent changes than that. I'm not sure how frequent, but definitely more than you're doing right now. I've only ever had big tanks, so I really don't know.
wildmagic713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 06:12 PM   #9 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum....

The twice weekly water changes should maintain water quality in a 1gal unfiltered tank....1-50% and 1-100% is what I recommend based on an experiment I conducted.....

A stable water temp in the 76-80F range is really important for the long term health as 1fish posted...

Look forward to some pics.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 06:16 PM   #10 
crownbettavt

I don't think I have a bad tank size...my cousins only clean thier tank like once a week...they are children and really could care less....they got those gallon bowls and thier fish haven't died yet...they have had them for at least a year...are people to sensitive about cleanliness...my other two gallon tank I changed the water like once a month it did have a filter though....twice a week is plenty for me...maybe I should just get the two gallon take I used to have I think they still make the hexagon shaped thing....

thanks for the help with the thermometer