Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-03-2011, 11:20 AM   #1 
Littlebittyfish

Ghost shrimp or prawn????

Hey guys, I have a question. I got a few "ghost shrimp" from a local fish store yesterday evening. I waited until the morning to add them to my tank, so I could keep an eye on them. thirty minutes after adding these little guys to my tank one was hanging from my fishes fins, trying to eat them!.I quickly removed them from my tank and have them in a critter keeper at the moment. I am wondering if you guys can give me some input as to what you think this is... a ghost shrimp or prawn? I am pretty sure it isn't a ghost shrimp. I am just curious what you all think.
They have unusually long "whiskers"
what the heck do i do with these things now, my receipt says no returns on livestock...

Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 11:44 AM   #2 
Malvolti

Nope, it's a ghost shrimp and she has eggs.

I've only every seen ghosties attack something if there is something else wrong in the tank. The biggest one being starvation. If they aren't getting enough food they have to hunt for it. The other big one is a sick fish, i've seen them go after a betta's fins that have fin rot but never touch the healthy tissue.

I'd imagine another possibility is if the betta has been harassing them the female may be protecting her eggs. This probably means they don't have enough hiding places to get away from the betta for a while.

Last edited by Malvolti; 03-03-2011 at 11:49 AM.
Malvolti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 12:03 PM   #3 
Littlebittyfish

hmmm....My fish had finrot not too long ago..He has decent fin regrowth though and his fins look much better. He hasn't been acting sick or anything. I made sure to feed the ghosties last night while they were in the critter keeper.

I thought I had enough hiding spots for them, but maybe I don't.
I have 4 anubias, 1 rose sword plant, 2 small amazon swords and some java moss, some free floating and I have a little tunnel covered in java moss as well.

I believe I will just stick wih my snails for now.
I will have to find someone who can take these little guys.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 12:12 PM   #4 
Malvolti

Hm, I suppose it could be an exceptionally agressive shrimp. I've never been misfortunate enough to find one.
Malvolti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 09:59 PM   #5 
shinybetta

Where do you live? I would love to take them!
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 06:41 AM   #6 
Lupin

Location: Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Information Super Highway
Darn imageshack! Why can I never see imageshack pics? This is stupid! Do you have other hosting sites? Or attach the pics under this system so I can see?
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 07:46 AM   #7 
Xxl3eAsTxX

yea... my ghost shrimp don't go after healthy fish either. Only the dead ones before i get to take them out...
Xxl3eAsTxX is offline   Reply With Quote