Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-05-2011, 08:51 PM   #11 
Sherleelee

Location: I now live in Vic, Australia but from Alberta Canada
The tank had a reading of nitrite 0 and ammonia at 0.25 or so , so i did another big syphon cause the tank is still cloudy so hopfully that helps, I treat my tap water with betta safe, or aquamaster decloranator on cycling tanks tho i stay away from the stress coat casue it sayes it takes out ammonia which is what i wanted, but since im at 0 for nitrite now im using the stress coat again :) the fish are doing fantastic, Sky eats like a lil piggy but Ash has yet to eat anything. He seems interested in the food but doesnt want it so im thinking give it a couple more days and he will prob be eating to, luckily all my bettas 1st day i get them always eat, so ash is the 1st one to turn down food but i know thats norm thank goodness haha! when i can get a good shot of them ill post a pic!
Sherleelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 03:40 AM   #12 
LittleBettaFish

Have you recently tested the pH in your tank? Sometimes during cycling, the pH can suddenly crash and stall your cycle as the growth of bacteria slows at a pH of >7 and can stop completely at 6 and below. Using some crushed coral in a stocking should buffer it some and stop big dips in pH.

Also how much ammonia are you adding? I'm pretty sure you're supposed to be dosing like 4-5ppm until the ammonia starts getting converted to nitrites. Although I'm not completely certain of the specifics.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
cycle, not working, please help