Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-02-2011, 08:59 AM   #1 
Ariel1719

Step by Step questions?

Hi guys, I really want to set up my 10gal again but i have a couple of questions.. questions for the 10gal and for the 2.5gal I have.

I'm pretty sure I know how to cycle a tank... I think. I cycled my 2.5 by doing the fishless cycle by adding food every day, I tested the water and then I added my boy Goose. Anyway, could someone give a step by step to a perfect or close to perfect cycle on a 10gal? I feel really threatened by the size of the tank and I want to do everything 100% right because it seems like a big project.

My second question is about cleaning the gravel. I see all these 'vaccums' at Big als and Petsmart, But it shows that they also drain the water? Is their a certain kind I should be looking at that is gravel only? Or is it better to have one that does both? Im going to get out the tank today and start cleaning it so fast replies would be awesome!

I plan on doing either a sorority, or a community tank with a new betta, female or male.

Thanks in advance everyone.
Ariel1719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 09:25 AM   #2 
LolaQuigs

Actually a ten gallon should be easier, as smaller tanks don't always hold a cycle. You will do it just like you did your smaller tank, by adding ammonia so that the ammonia reads 5 ppm. As nitrites rise, your ammonia levels will drop quickly, so definitely test daily to make sure they're staying high enough to feed the nitrifying bacteria. Your nitrites will spike and you will continue adding ammonia, but keep it at 2 ppm after the nitrite spike. You will notice that your nitrates are rising. Eventually they will spike and your nitrites will drop. Once both ammonia and nitrite drop to 0 ppm, your tank is cycled. The nitrates will be quite high though, so do a large water change to bring them down as low as you can.

If the food method worked for your smaller tank, you should be able to do it for the larger one, though I prefer to use pure ammonia as it isn't as dirty and you can be more precise about the amount you are adding. But do whatever works best for you.

Gravel vacuums don't just clean the gravel, they are also used to do water changes. You can use them to just siphon out water without actually vacuuming the gravel, or you can do both. You can't use them to just vacuum the gravel though.
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 09:27 AM   #3 
SmokeNLark

You can do the 10 gallon the same way you did the 2.5. It will just take longer.

As for the vacuum, they all drain the water. They work by creating a suction by either starting the water flow by "pumping" the siphon or by sucking on the end. Look on youtube to find a video of it. Whenever you do a water change, vacuum the gravel. I don't think there are any specifically for gravel.
SmokeNLark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 10:00 AM   #4 
Ariel1719

Thank you both, Okay cool so when i go to my LFS I'll pick up a test kit and some ammonia, id probably like to get it done ASAP but the safest way i can. Id probably prefer adding the ammonia raw. Thank you guys.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:07 AM   #5 
Lion Mom

Why not just take some of the gravel and filter media from the cycled smaller tank? Almost instant cycle! :)
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 12:13 PM   #6 
LisaLB24

I agree with Lion Mom. I used two gallons of yucky water after a gravel cleaning, some gravel, and a filter cartridge from my estabished tank to cycle my new 10g. You have the bacteria and the source for ammonia right there! Tank cycled within two weeks. I then sucked out the yuckies, added some pesty snails to keep the cycle going until I can add the fish and voila! So easy!
LisaLB24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 02:23 PM   #7 
Ariel1719

Ahh! I never thought of that.. But my 2.5 only has 1 filter cartridge. How would I put that in the 10 gal filter?
Old 03-02-2011, 02:51 PM   #8 
LisaLB24

I was due for a filter change any way, so I just moved it to the new tank and put a new one in the old tank. If it doesn't fit just drop it down in the canister. You just want the bacteria off of it...
LisaLB24 is offline   Reply With Quote