Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-02-2011, 03:33 PM   #1 
Capricorn

why, Nettle? :(

Some of you remember when I got Nettlestung and he was missing a little hunk out of his fins.. after a couple months all was well and his fins were mostly regrown. Within the last month, however, something went horribly wrong and Nettle decided that the best course of action was to remove every single fin on his body.

Not only did he take all of his beautiful cadual fin away, he also got to his dorsal fin, his pelvic fins AND his vental fin. e_________e He looks like a plakat now.

Here's a history of Nettle's fins for you, and a nice photo at the end to see the total damage dealt.

And there you have it. Undoubtedly the most neurotic betta on the face of the planet. e.e Now we begin the long process of regrowth and hope that he leaves them alone....
Capricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 04:50 PM   #2 
Bettaluver4evr

Oh man, that's terrible! He was healing beautifull... and wow, that doesn't even look like a male betta, it's like a deformed female with a really long body... I'm so sorry! But there is still hope. Don't give up, he should heal nicely. :)
Bettaluver4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 04:56 PM   #3 
Capricorn

Yeah, I'm hoping that he'll let it be and let it grow back. xD

The damage he did was over the course of... maybe two days. There wasn't anything different with his tank or surroundings. e.e I guess I'll never know.
Old 03-02-2011, 04:59 PM   #4 
iheartmybettas

Wow! That is crazy! I hope he will let it be and grow back out. Maybe he feels more like a plakat at heart? :) :)
iheartmybettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 05:01 PM   #5 
metalbetta

He doesn't look like he's been eating well, either... poor guy. :/ ... Maybe he has a parasite bugging him?

What size tank do you have him in? Sometimes upgrading (or even downgrading) their tank size or maybe switching up or adding a few more plants to their habitat helps. Cameron used to be a tailbiter... a hardcore tailbiter. I got him a few more hiding spots in his 2.5 gallon tank and he's since stopped. Fish are weird. lol

As a side note, AQ salt helps heal fins quickly, and prevents infections like fin rot especially during the healing process.
metalbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 06:54 PM   #6 
Fermin

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalbetta View Post
He doesn't look like he's been eating well, either... poor guy. :/ ... Maybe he has a parasite bugging him?
^^ This. He looks terribly thin - I'm betting his fin-chomping is stress/neurosis secondary to a GI parasite.

I rescued a fin-chomper that was absolutely emaciated. I used praziquantel (kills blood- and GI-related flatworms, tapeworms...etc) and metronidazole (kills protists and anerobes). Tetra's Parasite Guard contains both meds (plus several others) and is a fizz-tab you just add to his tank water. <-- super-easy to use.

Good luck!
Fermin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 10:04 PM   #7 
Sweeda88

Even though I read what you wrote, I was still shocked when I saw the last picture. Sometimes Bettas with large fins get frustrated with the weight. He may have snapped and decided he didn't want to deal with it anymore, who knows?
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 10:10 PM   #8 
LolaQuigs

Oh no! Poor guy. What a mess, I wish they wouldn't do this to themselves. I hope they heal nicely and he leaves them alone when they come back!
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 10:14 PM   #9 
Capricorn

He is thin, you guys are right.. though he eats every day (and often has a bit of a large tummy when he's done) and still behaves normally. I'll try soaking his food in garlic and see if I can pick up the fizz tablets.. I have food with praziquantel in it already that I can try on him as well.

As for his tank, he's been in a 5gal since I got him.. at one point he was in a divided 10gal, but he still has 5 gallons of space. He had been back in his 5gal hex for about two months when this happened. I've never had a problem with him aside from this, really. e.e

I'll keep you guys posted, thanks for your thoughts.. I'll have to document his regrowth again this time, hahaha.

edit; Also! I did have AQ salt in there while the wounds were open, they've closed now and it's just new tissue regrowing.. managed to avoid fin rot and infection completely.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:14 PM   #10 
HayrideHaunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartmybettas View Post
Wow! That is crazy! I hope he will let it be and grow back out. Maybe he feels more like a plakat at heart? :) :)
reminds me of Moontail from Baylee's story hehe

GWS Nettle!
HayrideHaunter is offline   Reply With Quote