Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-02-2011, 07:05 PM   #1 
Arashi Takamine

Angry Okay confused.

I need help with if cycling is absolutely necessery. My dad and I are in such a heated debate over it, that it's making me crazy! (Note: We're getting our betta's tomorrow. My dad has yet to bring up the reverse osmosis water either.) I need help. Major help please I need major help. Kaida and Kalona will be coming home tomorrow hopefully and we just...Ugh I'm getting so frustraited. I'm only a teenager and these guys will be our new family pets so I want to know what's best for them. We just can't AFFORD testing kits and my best friend has betta's with none of the mostly required and her's are thriving...

Last edited by Arashi Takamine; 03-02-2011 at 07:09 PM.
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 07:24 PM   #2 
misamiania

From what I understand it's not ABSOLUTLY NECESSARY. However if your tank is bigger then 1.5 gal (which is kind of the minimum) then you really want to cycle it. But if it's small enough you can just do 100% water changes. depending on the size of tank is how often.

However don't rely on just my word, I'm still new to everything. That's just what I've come to understand.
misamiania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 07:34 PM   #3 
Arashi Takamine

Thank you so much! I've also read somewhere that partial water changes are preferable for new betta's because 100% water changes could shock them. Thank you very much for the reply! (Now to go bug my dad to bring up the water.)
Old 03-02-2011, 07:43 PM   #4 
BlueHaven

Yes, it's not absolutely necessary if it is a smaller tank.
If you have a smaller tank, you could put a hardy live plant in there like Java Moss. I've read often that it doesn't require fertilizers other than what the water gives and the fishes poo. It helps keep ammonia from spiking, which is the problem with an uncycled tank.
If you do frequent water changes as needed, you should not have a problem.
Use Prime water conditioner, it helps that also. These don't take the place of water changes though.
BlueHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 08:05 PM   #5 
Arashi Takamine

Thank you for being so helpful. We've been looking into other live plants to add to our ideal tank idea's and Java moss seems like a cool idea actually. We've got some lucky bamboo all ready to go for them as well. Your help is ultra appriciated.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:05 PM   #6 
Pekemom

How big are your tanks?
Pekemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 11:30 PM   #7 
Arashi Takamine

To be honest it turns out we're going to have to cycle the tanks anyways. We haven't purchesed the tanks but at the most will be 1.5 gallons or 2.5 gallons. So we'll have to wait awhile before bringing home the boys.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:55 AM   #8 
danifacetastic

I've never cycled my tank and never tested the water. I do have an ammonia meter in my tank but it's never showed any change in color although when I put it over an ammonia bottle it changed color right away. I just do one 50% water change a week and asides from some tail biting and some minor fin curling with one of my bettas my bettas are happy and healthy.
danifacetastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 08:32 AM   #9 
Fermin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arashi Takamine View Post
I need help with if cycling is absolutely necessery. My dad and I are in such a heated debate over it, that it's making me crazy! (Note: We're getting our betta's tomorrow. My dad has yet to bring up the reverse osmosis water either.) I need help. Major help please I need major help. Kaida and Kalona will be coming home tomorrow hopefully and we just...Ugh I'm getting so frustraited. I'm only a teenager and these guys will be our new family pets so I want to know what's best for them. We just can't AFFORD testing kits and my best friend has betta's with none of the mostly required and her's are thriving...
Hi there
Since you are getting 2 bettas, in my opinion it will be much less work for you and much less stressful on your bettas in the long run if you purchase a 10g tank (~$10-$15) and then divide it.

A 10g will take only ~4 weeks or so to cycle, and it's big enough to house a nice filter, heater, plants, and hiding places as well. Then you wouldn't have to perform so many water changes and worry so much about water quality or shocking your fish.

Good luck!
Fermin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 01:25 AM   #10 
Thunderloon

RO water has volatile pH, it's okay to mix it 50/50 with regular treated water but it is the hardness in the water that regulates the pH of the water and RO water has none unless specially mixed. If you're going to be doing water changes at all, skip the RO. Tap water treated is fine.

If there is a local actual aquarium store near you they may have some TLC brand bacteria culture for a couple dollars. That or get some living gravel/media from an active tank and the cycle will be easy to start.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote