Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-02-2011, 07:07 PM   #1 
theyxdrewxblood

What is wrong with my betta?

This is my betta, Luigi. I was changing his water today and I realized he looks VERY sick. He has white spots over his eyes, his color is very, very dull, and he is barely moving. When he swims, it looks as if he is having difficulty and is somewhat spasmodic. He also did not touch his food today. Here are two pictures, one with flash and one without. Can anyone tell me what is wrong with him and how I can make him happy and healthy again?
It's also pretty late at night, and all pet stores are closed. ):

theyxdrewxblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 07:17 PM   #2 
FuulieQ

How often do you change his water? Does he have a heater? How long have you had him?
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 07:22 PM   #3 
theyxdrewxblood

I change his water once a week or so.
He does not have a heater, he is right under a window.
I've had him about six months.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:27 PM   #4 
FuulieQ

How many gallons is his tank?

You REALLY should get him a heater if the tank is 2 gallons or more. Bettas are tropical fish. They do much better with water in the high 70's. You should also probably move the tank, if it's next to the window he probably is exposed to unhealthy temperature fluctuations.

Six months basically rules out old age... I can't really name a specific problem that I see, he just looks really haggard... are his scales raised, like a pinecone?
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 07:31 PM   #5 
theyxdrewxblood

The tank is small, not even a gallon. It's a cute little box tank, about the length, height, and depth of a CD case.
His scales aren't raised, they're flat and smooth against his body.
=/ I know there's something wrong with him...I just can't figure it out.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:00 PM   #6 
Cravenne

Once a week water changes in a tiny home like that is not enough. I'd be doing 100% daily changes in such a small container.
He also needs a heater to maintain the temperature. Using sunlight is just not stable enough for him.

I'd suggest warm, clean water to start...definitely get a heater ASAP and do daily 100% water changes. Someone will likely advise salt as well, I'm just not sure of the dosing.
Cravenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 08:12 PM   #7 
theyxdrewxblood

Would betta-fix help any?
Old 03-02-2011, 08:16 PM   #8 
peachesxo

His scales look raised in the first picture to me... :(

Look at your betta from the top, are his scales sticking out? From birds eye view does he almost look a bit pine-coney... It may just be me but i think i can see it in the first picture...
it's a very very bad sign and means he will probably pass soon if he is...
check out his scales and let us know what you see, hope my vision is just triciking me.... and make sure to do that water change and keep doing them everyday -> every other day at the very least..
peachesxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 08:19 PM   #9 
TwilightNite

Unhappy help!

O.K two days ago i changed my fish Orb's tank and he is DEATHLY afraid of water changes and once i got it all clean he was very lethargic and sat at the bottom of the tank or was at the top. He moves when i feed him and when i talk to him and that is the only time he moves. Any help for my lethargic Betta.
TwilightNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 08:25 PM   #10 
theyxdrewxblood

One or two of his scales are sticking out, I don't think there's enough to warrant the 'pine-cone' look. =/ I changed his water earlier today, and I just put some betta-fix in. I'll change him again tomorrow and see how he is.

And TwilightNite, Luigi is like that all the time after water changes, just give him some time and he should be fine.

Tags
betta, diagnose, lethargic, sick, white spots