Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-02-2011, 09:47 PM   #11 
Cravenne

I'm not quite sure about the Betta fix. I've never had to medicate. I do believe I've heard it's more of a 'fix-all' and doesn't really attack anything specific.

I don't see pineconing, but it's hard to tell without a shot from above.
I think the measurement for salt is 1tsp/gallon. Pre-mix it and add it in slowly.
I'd first start with clean, warm water for sure though..

If you can get any more pics that are a bit more clear, that'd be great.

Keep us posted
Cravenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 10:11 PM   #12 
theyxdrewxblood

I got a few more pictures. I found a setting on my camera that is much clearer.
In this one you can really see disturbing white patches below his little head

I wish I could say this was a bird's eye view, but it's straight on. He is almost perfectly vertical, and as I am typing this he is currently flailing wildly and then stopping all movement completely.

I hate to see my baby suffering so much...
theyxdrewxblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 10:13 PM   #13 
theyxdrewxblood

Oh, and you mean special aquarium salt and not just regular table salt, correct?
Old 03-02-2011, 10:44 PM   #14 
theyxdrewxblood

Here's one more picture

Old 03-02-2011, 11:21 PM   #15 
theyxdrewxblood

Thank you all for your efforts, but my baby has now officially passed on.
I really don't know what was wrong with him...but at least now he is no longer suffering.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:26 PM   #16 
PewPewPew

He was probably dying of a filthy tank that wasnt cleaned enough- ammonia poisoning at least.
He's also rail thin. Either he wasnt fed enough or he was fed something that didnt give the nutrients he needed.
If he had no heater, it was also that that could have left him open to serious stress, which could crush his immune system and lead to a whole host of things.

Dont put a betta back in that tank unless you change the water more and get a heater.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 01:24 AM   #17 
Luliyuhrouwn

Quote:
Originally Posted by PewPewPew View Post
He was probably dying of a filthy tank that wasnt cleaned enough- ammonia poisoning at least.
He's also rail thin. Either he wasnt fed enough or he was fed something that didnt give the nutrients he needed.
If he had no heater, it was also that that could have left him open to serious stress, which could crush his immune system and lead to a whole host of things.

Dont put a betta back in that tank unless you change the water more and get a heater.
I'm sorry, I know I'm new here and have asked plenty of dumb questions, and I'll probably be burned at the stake for this but, that was exceptionally rude and uncalled for. At least the person cared enough to try and help the fish, there are plenty of people who would have blown it off. I understand you're trying to educate s/he on the proper care and maintenance, but there are gentler ways to do so. Keep In mind they just lost a pet, regardless of whether it was by the book cared for.
Luliyuhrouwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 07:02 AM   #18 
Cravenne

Sorry for your loss.

His illness was likely related to poor water quality. Now you know the proper amount of water necessary for a tiny container like that. When you're ready for another, should you choose to, a 2.5G tank..with a heater would be a wise investment.
Bettas won't eat, or won't be able to digest their food well in water that's too cool...they are tropical fish afterall.

Those specialized Betta homes are generally too tiny for livestock. I realize they are really cost effective, but it just isn't enough water. Under 1G is just too small...the water gets polluted really quickly and the fish get sick.
They can also be difficult to attach a heater to.

So..until you're ready to get a new boy why not browse around here. Especially the section on habitats...there are a ton of pictures to look at for inspiration. It can be really fun to set up a new tank.

Again, sorry for your loss. I think all of us have been in your position at some point...before we knew what sort of conditions Bettas need. Now you know and can make better choices the next time.
Cravenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 11:55 AM   #19 
turtle10

I am sorry for your loss :(

If you decide to get another betta, please do some research first. Less than one gallon is NOT okay for any fish to live in.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 01:48 PM   #20 
PewPewPew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luliyuhrouwn View Post
I'm sorry, I know I'm new here and have asked plenty of dumb questions, and I'll probably be burned at the stake for this but, that was exceptionally rude and uncalled for. At least the person cared enough to try and help the fish, there are plenty of people who would have blown it off. I understand you're trying to educate s/he on the proper care and maintenance, but there are gentler ways to do so. Keep In mind they just lost a pet, regardless of whether it was by the book cared for.
Come at me bro.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta, diagnose, lethargic, sick, white spots