Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-03-2011, 07:15 AM   #11 
cjayBetta

I don't know the first thing about breeding betta's but I do know that you are side stepping questions/giving coded answers. When you ask for help here and someone asks you a question to better understand the situation then you need to be answering these questions. Im honestly surprised that you are still able to even post here... You continue to do the wrong thing and then post about it to get a rise out of these nice people. Thats wrong. You need to donate your betta's to a home where they would like to have a PET so your poor little betta's dont die like the last one.

Just so you know what you are doing is DISGUSTING and I think you should be banned from this website.
cjayBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 08:36 AM   #12 
reaper0325

I am a newbie at breeding just like you are. Before I had a successful spawn, I already bought 5 females and 5 males. But only one male and 2 females breed. For some reason all the others just won't breed for me. That's how frustrating it is!

I can feel your frustration. It is a fact that some bettas just won't breed, and maybe we are unfortunate enough to end up having them.

Try indian almod leaves. They worked for me.
reaper0325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 10:36 AM   #13 
jschristian44

maybe i released her too soon, but the male had a huge bubblenest ready to go. and she was ramming her head into the sides of the glass and swimming at a 45 degree angle down then up then down. if i leave her in the glass jar for like 2 days, she eventually has horizontal bars which i thought she is stressed because she cant get to the male. am i wrong here?
jschristian44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 10:42 AM   #14 
jschristian44

and i have indian almond leaves and the temp at 81, everything is right. i am pretty sure the reason they never breed is because the female isnt ready. she has the vertical bars, but like the people said that isnt a sign that she is ready. if i knew better body language signs, then i could better guess when to release her to him. swimming like an S shape, is that the biggest cue that she is ready? i have seen the male swimming like that all the time while he is building his nest. i am pretty sure the male is more than ready, and he keeps chasing the female because she just isnt ready. any more tips on how to tell when she is ready, how to get her ready would be awesome. i have conditioned them both for like a week or so. and like i said i release her from the glass jar because she gets horizontal lines which makes me think she is stressed because she cant get out. or is it just because she doesnt have eggs and isnt ready? whenever she first sees the male, she immediately gets vertical bars, which makes me think she is ready right then and there.
Old 03-03-2011, 11:33 AM   #15 
Keyoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luimeril View Post
how long did you condition them for?
They need AT LEAST 2 weeks (that's 14 days) of high quality food/water out of sight of each other.

How long did you condition them for?
Keyoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 11:55 AM   #16 
jschristian44

like 5 days. is it alright if i condition the female in a community tank with like 6 guppies? so if i condition them long enough they will be more ready to breed?
Old 03-03-2011, 12:08 PM   #17 
jschristian44

is it true that if the ph is too high that they wont breed? i just measured mine and its near 8 or so. all the other water conditions are pretty good though.
Old 03-03-2011, 12:40 PM   #18 
turtle10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschristian44 View Post
like 5 days. is it alright if i condition the female in a community tank with like 6 guppies? so if i condition them long enough they will be more ready to breed?
Um, do you know what conditioning is?

Question, so you released her when she started showing horizontal bars?
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 02:54 PM   #19 
Emmalea

Here is what you should do to get your betta to breed, You really need to do this! honestly it works every single time!

Step one, you will need to get two tanks each should be at least 2.5 gallons and need to be complete with a heater, gravel and you choice of live or silk plants. Do not use plastic plants as bettas do not find them very romantic and they will not set the mood well.

Step two, place one betta in each tank. The tanks should be kept in separate rooms if possible. Make sure the water is a consistent temperature of 78-80. Now comes the fun part. Start feeding them a well balanced diet, pellets will work great! You also get the fun of doing water changes one every other day of so should do the trick.

Step three, Repeat step two. Bettas take a super long time to condition for breeding, normally between 2-4 years. Anyone who tells you that you can condition them in 14 day is lying, 2 years is the absolute minimum time but longer is better.

Step four, Now is a good time to put away all of your breeding equipment, since bettas take such a long time to condition it will no longer be good by the time they are ready to breed. You should also still be repeating step two.

Step five, Now is a great time to do some research. While still repeating step two you should be getting all the info you can on breeding bettas. Your local library should have lots of helpful books, look at web sites and read and ask questions on fish forums, those people really know their stuff. :)

Step six. After about a year or so you should give breeding Sea monkeys a try, they are a great first project and you can get a kit that will include every you will need from you local toy store. Don't forget to keep doing step two.

Step seven, After two years have passed you should put the two tanks next to each other, if the male has not built a bubble nest in the first five minutes then they are not a match. Sad as it is, a lot of the time bettas will just not be attracted to each other. Same as with people you can't force chemistry thats not there.
At this point you should let your bettas live out the rest of their lives in peace.

When you buy your next pair you will need to start from step one again, I know breeding bettas takes a super long time and is not for everyone, sometimes it can take an up wards of ten years to get a spawn.

And this my friend is how you should breed bettas.
Emmalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 03:30 PM   #20 
jschristian44

condition is when you keep their water nice and clean and you feed them brine shrimp and pellets for 2 weeks or so. and no, i didnt release her with horiztonal stripes, i waited until she was neutral again.