Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-03-2011, 08:11 PM   #31 
jschristian44

I have tried everything you did. What kind of live foods do you suggest I use? I had all the patience I needed I thought. I kept them together for several days and they still didn't breed. The closest I ever got to them spawning is when I saw the female turn completely sideways and just lay there floating. But it was near my heater so she was like hidden from the male. Then she snapped out of it. I really thought that was the time, I was extremely dissapointed because that's the closest I ever got. I don't know what else to do. I think they were conditioned when I got them, but I can try that again. I can definately tell the male is ready because he wags his body and creates a huge bubble nest. I am pretty sure it's the female who just isn't ready. Should she wag her tail as well? I saw them sliding against each other several times as well. I think that is a good sign right? But they just never bred. The female would go under the nest but then the male would chase her away. It is very annoying and I don't think I have the mind from all the frustration anymore.
jschristian44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 08:58 PM   #32 
JKfish

From what I've read it doesn't sound like you are practicing your patience as well as you should. If you had, you would have properly conditioned with live or frozen foods for 2 whole weeks seperately before putting the male in the spawning tank and the female in the vase. From there, you would have waited until you saw not only the male, but the female responding to each other and more or less flirting through the glass. Then, when you let the girl into the tank, you would have monitored them and let them be together until they spawn. I've read some threads where spawning happens quickly, and others where it took a good while.

The male probably chased her away because he was not ready yet. If the female was approaching the nest, she was ready and willing. The male chasing her away probably meant he didn't feel like his bubblenest was ready quite yet.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 09:30 PM   #33 
jschristian44

that is what i thought, but how large should the nest be? i heard that it can be a dime size and they could spawn, and mine was the size of a baseball diameter. either way, i am going to try to condition them better and then try to introduce them again. thanks
Old 03-03-2011, 09:33 PM   #34 
turtle10

Please try to wait the full two weeks this time :)
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 09:38 PM   #35 
jschristian44

if i condition them both until the end of this month with dry brine shrimp crumbs and betta pellets will that be good?
Old 03-03-2011, 09:42 PM   #36 
turtle10

Well that doesn't really seem like conditioning, that is my fish's normal diet. Conditioning is a time to really boost their health so they need extra nutrition in their diet. They really won't get any extra nutrition from pellets or freeze dried. You should get live food.
Old 03-03-2011, 09:45 PM   #37 
jschristian44

what live food and where can i get it?
Old 03-03-2011, 09:46 PM   #38 
baylee767

Yes, either live or frozen.

Frozen blood worms, brine shrimp, etc. are good (The ones you have to thaw) or live foods. But not blackworms as they tend to have parasites.

EDIT: fully grown brine shrimp, live mosquito larva, live blood worms... those kind of things.
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 09:49 PM   #39 
turtle10

You can order it online, some fish stores may carry it. I suggest microworms, bloodworms, grindal worms, etc.
Old 03-03-2011, 09:51 PM   #40 
jschristian44

i have a baby brine shrimp hatcher. can i just put a few of them in a container and feed them to adult size? what can i feed them to help them grow? can i just feed them flake food and some lettuce or something? i heard they grow to adult size in only like a week. id really like to not spend any more money, ive already invested over 200 dollars for all my fish stuff so far.