Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-03-2011, 09:57 PM   #41 
turtle10

Raising brine shrimp is not that simple. Here is a great page on raising brine shrimp:
http://www.angelfire.com/ab/rayjay/brineshrimp.html

Last edited by turtle10; 03-03-2011 at 10:00 PM.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 10:03 PM   #42 
jschristian44

well i read that if i ground up flake food and feed them they will turn out fine. i also keep the air pump in teh container as well. i dont think it needs to be THAT hard as on the website.
jschristian44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 10:07 PM   #43 
turtle10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschristian44 View Post
well i read that if i ground up flake food and feed them they will turn out fine. i also keep the air pump in teh container as well. i dont think it needs to be THAT hard as on the website.
Where did you read that? It isn't true. They require care and maintenance with food they can actually digest and regular water changes. They would also need a heater and their own tank. Plus the aeration level has to be perfect, it is very easy to over or under aerate the shrimp.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 10:10 PM   #44 
MrVampire181

Brine shrimp will die if over aearated (spelling?). It's not easy at all. Try frozen foods and live blackworms (love em but rinse VERY well once a day in cool dechlorinated water).
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 10:11 PM   #45 
Luimeril

hun, most pet stores sell frozen foods for fish. i was going to buy some for my bettas, frozen blood worms, but they were out when i had money to burn on frozen foods. not that expensive, either. you'd spend more on raising brine shrimp, than you would frozen foods for your bettas. there are no short cuts to breeding. one thing done wrong can ruin it, as you've seen so far.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 11:04 PM   #46 
thestompa

Quote:
like 5 days. is it alright if i condition the female in a community tank with like 6 guppies? so if i condition them long enough they will be more ready to breed?
Guppies make the betta wont breed lol. .

Last edited by dramaqueen; 03-05-2011 at 12:11 AM.
thestompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 11:05 PM   #47 
thestompa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVampire181 View Post
Brine shrimp will die if over aearated (spelling?). It's not easy at all. Try frozen foods and live blackworms (love em but rinse VERY well once a day in cool dechlorinated water).

Frozen bloodworms! Every bettas love it.
Old 03-05-2011, 12:12 AM   #48 
Keyoda

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestompa View Post
Guppies make the betta wont breed lol. .
Keyoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 04:15 AM   #49 
thestompa

Your bettas play safe lol, she dont want to get pregnant too fast.
Old 03-05-2011, 08:25 AM   #50 
vilmarisv

Quote:
id really like to not spend any more money, ive already invested over 200 dollars for all my fish stuff so far.
This is why I always end up repeating myself... breeding bettas is NOT cheap and is VERY time consuming! Compared to what I've spent $200 is a a drop in the bucket. I come home during my lunch break to feed my fry and in the afternoons I spend a good 2 hours between water changes, feeding and water preparation for the next water change.

Frozen foods is the best option after live food but always mix it up with a good pellet to complement their nutritional value. Feed 2 or 3 times a day... this is why you will need the DAILY water changes for those 2 weeks of conditioning. Your pair should be the epitome of healthy fish.

I don't let my fish see eachother exclusively until they are in the breeding tank which is filled with 4 inches of super clean water, live plants, a heater and 1 floating IAL for bubblenest.
The tank should be covered to help the bubblenest stick together and keep the humidity in for when you do have eggs and fry. Also, if you see the female glass surfing and the male looking out the tank a lot, try wrapping it with a towel, it'll keep their attention inside the tank.

For what comes after, you really need to understand betta behavior and that's where the hours of study come in... even then you will not be fully prepared since every betta is different.

When they tell you that the female has to be swimming at a 45 degree angle, it means SWIMMING not just backing up when the male approaches. The male shouldn't be hitting the glass with his face but doing their S shape dance next to it then swimming to his bubble nest and looking back to see if the female has followed... this is all while she's still in the glass. Once this goes on (usually for 2-4 days) and the male has built his small or large nest then you release the female. If you see a lot of aggression it might be a good idea to place her back in the glass and wait until they start interacting more.
With my last spawn I had to do this twice and once I last released the female, she went straight to the nest and started bumping the male to get him to wrap around her. They were very successful, gave me TONS of eggs and didn't damage eachother's fins.

Of course, after all this comes the really fun, nerve wrecking part of raising and caring for a ton of babies... I'm surprised I still have nails left.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote