Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-06-2011, 12:56 AM   #21 
BettaMama11

Ah I see, perhaps you may be correct...do bettas tend to have their colors intensify or change slightly as they grow? My main concern aside from worrying that she may be ill is her not eating hopefully she will start to eat soon...

Last edited by BettaMama11; 03-06-2011 at 12:58 AM.
BettaMama11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 01:39 AM   #22 
tfranc

Don't worry so much, My betta that I brought home with severe fin rot took about 2 weeks before he started eating, also i suggest changing from top fin pellets, they are huge and none of my boys like them, I give them aqueon betta food, as soon as they saw it they went nuts! its smaller and easier for sick fishies to eat.
Just give her some time, there might be a chance that she has internal parasites which is what makes them not eat too, or at least that was the case with one of my boys, I gave him Mayacin 2 (also to stop the fin rot) and immediately after the first dose he started eating his new pellets.

I hope this helps and your little lady gets better!
tfranc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 01:53 AM   #23 
BettaMama11

Ah, yes thats another possibility, she is pretty tiny..., how would I know if she has parasites aside from her not eating? Thanks for the advice tfranc =)
Old 03-06-2011, 03:34 AM   #24 
Thunderloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaMama11 View Post
@RiverStoneBetta: The fact that you're boy took 14 days gives me hope that she will eat soon...I will try to time her feedings thanks for the advice, how many times a day do you think i should try to continue offering food?

@brandonwlee: At the pet store they would feed her Wardley betta pellets, they haven't had it in stock so I haven't been able to buy her that brand yet to try it out but hopefully they get some in soon...
She's not big enough to eat Wardley pellets.
Try some hikkari guppy or micro wafers. Try a well mashed pea center as well. Just give a couple fresh peas a good quick boil then slit the skin and squeeze out the insides, mash it up with a fork tine till it's muck and offer it.

Her skin tension looks ok, I'm a little worried about the markings on her lower gill covers?

Be CAREFUL feeding her tho, crowntails develop an unstoppable appetite.

Last edited by Thunderloon; 03-06-2011 at 03:36 AM.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 03:41 AM   #25 
BettaMama11

yeah thats what was worrying me too, but I have no idea what they could be thats why i started giving her some bettafix, before treatment she had bit more silver and the red was much redder.

with the wardley pellets I did see they were big so I don't know why she wouldn't eat the topfin ones that I bought because they're smaller than the wardley ones they were feeding her at the store :S. Peas sounds interesting I can definately give it a go, at this point i will try as many methods as I can to get her to start eating...
Old 03-06-2011, 05:08 AM   #26 
Thunderloon

just remember she's a baby and to only give a little bit

if she suddenly gets voracious and you put too much food in she'll hurt herself
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 05:15 AM   #27 
BettaMama11

Yeah so far I've been switching every day between pellets flakes and bloodworms but she hasn't been interested she almost ate a pellet once she kissed it basically and then swam off lol...
Old 03-06-2011, 10:05 AM   #28 
denaliwind

Sorry if this was already answered, I only skimmed through the pages quickly.
Anyway, have you tried feeding frozen food? Mysis shrimp, brine shrimp, bloodworms? It's soft, it's fresh, it's small. If she's picky, a fresh smelly morsel may be too much to resist. If it's a chewing problem or size issue, these foods are really soft and small, my little guys slurp them up in one gulp. I've never had any luck with pellets, flakes or freeze dried foods, frozen food is the only thing I'll feed my bettas. I have super picky eaters (they've turned away pellets, flakes, and freeze dried foods) and I have little piggies (who would eat everything), but they all love, love their frozen meals. If frozen foods become her choice meal, then remember to mix it up, don't just feel bloodworms or brine shrimp, they're fatty. Mysis shrimp are a great thing to add to the mix because of their little exoskeletons working like fiber to keep the system going. :)

Good luck!
She's adorable and looks really healthy otherwise.

Last edited by denaliwind; 03-06-2011 at 10:07 AM.
denaliwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 05:49 PM   #29 
BettaMama11

I haven't actually tried frozen foods no....just the regular betta food, pellets flakes and freezedried bloodworms. I think on payday I can take a trip down to the petstore and see what they have if she still hasn't eaten the other stuff...thanks denaliwind
Old 03-06-2011, 08:36 PM   #30 
tfranc

if she is a baby, then definitely try giving smaller food, and maybe dont feed her for a day so as to let her relax a bit and feel safe in her new environment, id definately give the other foods a go from what others are suggesting, I think it sounds good. just be careful with the pea, ive read that if too much is given it can damage their stomach, but a tiny bit helped my little guy too. I really hope she eats soon.
best of luck!!!
tfranc is offline   Reply With Quote