Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-25-2011, 03:18 PM   #1 
kathstew

Hi, I am new here...

Hi, my name is Kathryn. I just joined this website after buying two female bettas. I want to thank everyone here for the help I've been getting.
I was extremely misinformed when I bought my fish. Despite my heavy research I decided to forget everything I learned and listen to the lady at the petstore. I was such an idiot to do so!
I was told by the lady that I could house two female betta's in one one gallon fishbowl, without a heater. -_-"

I have now separated the two females into their own one gallon fishbowl each, and I am buying them heaters tomorrow. I am keeping my room warm in the meantime.

If anyone has any name suggestions for my blue betta, please let me know! The pinkish one is named Drama Queen, because she was quite the little flare-er!

P.S: These pictures were taken when they were in the same bowl. As I said above, they are now separated and much happier. As you can see in the pictures, Drama Queen was flaring a lot.
She was also a camera hog.
I will have better pics up soon. I am sick right now, and haven't had much drive to do anything except sleep and read posts on here ;)
kathstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 03:23 PM   #2 
JKfish

:) Welcome to the forum.

It's good that you've gotten them seperated, though eventually you might want to get them slighly larger tanks. 1 gallons are fine, though you'll have to do 100% every other day to keep the water quality good.

it's hard to tell, but I'm thinking Dramaqueen is actually a young veiltail male, and your blue one almost looks like a palakat guy, though she's probably a girl.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 04:13 PM   #3 
kathstew

Thanks for the welcome!
I will eventually be buying them bigger tanks, its just not in the budget at the moment. They seem quite happy right now. I would be too if I had been living in a cup for over a week!
I am keeping up with the water changes, and clean the gravel, deco, and plastic plants with warm water.

I was wondering why Drama Queen was flaring so much! The blue betta wasn't flaring at all, and I thought it was just a sign of submission, as I heard that females will fight for top spot. But maybe she is a HE? I haven't noticed her building bubble nests though. She does have a faint white spot, that I thought was the egg thing (I forget what its called, LOL) but I've read that males can sometimes have a spot similar to the females.
I am pretty sure the blue one is a female, as she has a very visible egg spot.
Thank you for letting me know! I will keep an eye on Drama Queen.
Goodness, I didn't know one little fish would be so much trouble!
Old 02-25-2011, 04:18 PM   #4 
JKfish

that's great to know.

bubble nests are a sign that bettas are mentally and physically very healthy, so it isn't uncommon for people to wait a long time to see a bubble nest from their boys :)

The white spot is an ovidepositor, and you are right, males can sometimes have them as well. You are probably right about your blue girl being a girl. As for Dramaqueen, keep an eye on him/her, it'll be interesting to see what he/she becomes.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 04:23 PM   #5 
Abby

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathstew View Post
Thank you for letting me know! I will keep an eye on Drama Queen.
Goodness, I didn't know one little fish would be so much trouble!

I was going to say the beard is a little manly for a lady.
you think one little fish is so much trouble, i have 15 little fish (8male, 7 females)
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 05:05 PM   #6 
kathstew

I can't believe my little Drama Queen may be a boy! I am definetly going to need to find a new name now!
I am definetly going to go say something to the pet store I got them from! This is crazy!

OK. I will keep an eye out for the bubble nests. I will post if anything changes!
Abby - WOW. I've got my hands full with these two, and you have 15! They have lovely names btw. Are your females all in one tank in a sorority?
Old 02-25-2011, 05:17 PM   #7 
Sweeda88

That second one is a male... lol. Very young, but definitely a male! I think you should name the blue one Suede.
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 05:26 PM   #8 
Abby

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathstew View Post
I can't believe my little Drama Queen may be a boy! I am definetly going to need to find a new name now!
I am definetly going to go say something to the pet store I got them from! This is crazy!

OK. I will keep an eye out for the bubble nests. I will post if anything changes!
Abby - WOW. I've got my hands full with these two, and you have 15! They have lovely names btw. Are your females all in one tank in a sorority?
theres a 6 bay goes: 004(male)|Lexi (female)|Caela and Ailie (girls)|Rayne (female)|Agent 11 (male)
|=divider there is no divider between caela and ailie (rayne was bossy at them so she got her own bay and lexi is recovering from fin damage from transport)
Dastans in a 2 gal critter keeper under QT, there is nero, melvin, benny, spongebob and louie in the 8 bay (one bay each) and the other three girls 88, cinder and bronxie are in a planted tank with B1 and B2 (mystery snails)
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 05:39 PM   #9 
kathstew

Oh my gosh! I seriously can't believe she is a HE. What have I gotten myself into?! LOL

Thank you Sweeda88. Suede is a lovely name. I will definitely keep that one in mind. Your fish have beautiful names. I love the name Banana Freckles. Its very cute!

Abby, your fish have amazing names! Your set-up sounds so professional! XD I don't think I'm ever going to be ready for that many fish. Thanks again for all your help!
Old 02-25-2011, 05:43 PM   #10 
Sweeda88

Thanks! I come up with the most off the wall names. I'm glad you like the name I suggested!
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote