Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-03-2011, 07:00 AM   #1 
BBBBBBB

Is Nutrafun safe?

My Betta has Ammonia Poisoning and I have this thing called Nutrafin Aqua plus. It says on the bottle that it removes chlorine and chloramine. Is it the right thing to use? Also, I was wondering if it's okay to keep only one Betta in a vase/bowl? We've had him for nearly a year without problems, but all the sites I go to say to use a tank.
BBBBBBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 08:23 AM   #2 
Lupin

Location: Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Information Super Highway
Does it also say it detoxifies ammonia?
Why not use Prime and do water changes?
What are your water parameters exactly?
What test kit is used?
Temperature?

Please post exactly what your ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH are. And IMO, bettas should be kept in no less than a 5g.
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 04:00 PM   #3 
BBBBBBB

Nutrafin doesn't say anything about ammonia. When I bought him all I did was go out, buy a fish bowl and buy my betta. So I don't have a water testing kit either. I'll probably have to go out and buy something other than Nutrafin.
Old 03-03-2011, 04:05 PM   #4 
turtle10

What size is the bowl?
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 04:07 PM   #5 
lilchiwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBBBBB View Post
Nutrafin doesn't say anything about ammonia. When I bought him all I did was go out, buy a fish bowl and buy my betta. So I don't have a water testing kit either. I'll probably have to go out and buy something other than Nutrafin.
Well yeah, there is way more that you need to get for a betta to keep him/her happy other than a bowl and a betta. Fish are not just a one step. It you are ready to spend at least $50 (and that a minimum) then I can start making you a list if you wish.

The #1 think I would change is for you to get at least a 2.5gal mini bow and a heater. They do best in water for 78-80`F.
lilchiwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 04:16 PM   #6 
Cravenne

Water changes reduce ammonia. Adding products to take care of ammonia IMO is 1) a bad idea 2) usually unnecessary. Water change, water change, water change.

NutraFin is a water conditioner used to remove chlorine, chloramine and neutralize heavy metals. Ammonia is removed from the system by water changes until (or if) the tank is cycled.

If the bowl is at least a gallon, it is fine. You'll need to start and continue to do 100% water changes every other day to maintain proper water quality. A heater is also important to maintain the proper temperature and avoid fluctuations.

It might be helpful if you could tell us-- how you diagnosed ammonia poisoning, what your current water change schedule is, if the tank is properly heated, and how much you're feeding.

A test kit isn't a necessity as long as you are doing regular, frequent water changes to the bowl. As I said..every other day, 100%.
Cravenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 05:52 PM   #7 
Lupin

Location: Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Information Super Highway
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cravenne View Post
Water changes reduce ammonia. Adding products to take care of ammonia IMO is 1) a bad idea 2) usually unnecessary. Water change, water change, water change.
Actually Prime is an exception to the rule. While it also binds chlorine, chloramine and heavy metals, it ALSO detoxifies ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. That is the added benefit. It does NOT remove the ammonia but simply bind it in its harmless form preventing further damage on the fish.

Quote:
A test kit isn't a necessity as long as you are doing regular, frequent water changes to the bowl. As I said..every other day, 100%.
I disagree. It's no wonder a majority of betta cases ALWAYS involve finrot and other infections. Always have a test kit for emergency purpose. What harm is there to have a test kit? Not all betta keepers are able to stick to the basic rules.
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 08:23 PM   #8 
Cravenne

I don't use Prime so I can't speak on it. The poster is using a water conditioner, which is all that is needed to treat the water.

As far as a test kit...you take a reading, then do a water change to correct the problem. Having test kits isn't a necessity to keeping healthy tanks. It certainly helps and should problems arise it might be easier to diagnose problems, but...it isn't totally necessary.
A heater is necessary. Adequate space is necessary. Water changes are necessary. A test kit is not.

When in doubt, do a water change. Then do another just to be safe. Ammonia poisoning, which is the concern, is due to lack of water changes(assuming it isn't streaming in from the taps). Having a test kit would certainly verify there is a big amount of ammonia in the tank, but....water changes remedy that.

The poster should invest in a heater before he invests in test strips.

And do a lot more water changes.

:)
Cravenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 10:16 PM   #9 
BBBBBBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cravenne View Post

NutraFin is a water conditioner used to remove chlorine, chloramine and neutralize heavy metals. Ammonia is removed from the system by water changes until (or if) the tank is cycled.

If the bowl is at least a gallon, it is fine. You'll need to start and continue to do 100% water changes every other day to maintain proper water quality. A heater is also important to maintain the proper temperature and avoid fluctuations.

It might be helpful if you could tell us-- how you diagnosed ammonia poisoning, what your current water change schedule is, if the tank is properly heated, and how much you're feeding.

The approximite size of my bowl is about 1 gallon, mabe more. It's not one of those really small bowls you somethimes see them kept in at stores.He's never had any problems with bowl size as he's the only fish kept in it. I diagnosed ammonia poisoning because I noticed that when he does swim, which is almost never, he swims directly to the top, takes a breath and then goes back to the bottom and his gills have been a bit too red for my liking. I used to change his water once a week, but now I'll be changing it once every other day. Sadly I don't own a heater and I'll probably go out this weekend to buy one. Usually I feed him 4-6 pieces once a day, but since he hasn't been eating, I've gone down to only 2 and I watch him until he eats them. If he doesn't eat them he doesn't get anymore.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:24 PM   #10 
turtle10

Make sure you do 100% water changes every other day from now on. Try to get him a bigger tank if you can, it will be easier and safer to heat.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote