I don't use Prime so I can't speak on it. The poster is using a water conditioner, which is all that is needed to treat the water.
As far as a test kit...you take a reading, then do a water change to correct the problem. Having test kits isn't a necessity to keeping healthy tanks. It certainly helps and should problems arise it might be easier to diagnose problems, but...it isn't totally necessary.
A heater is necessary. Adequate space is necessary. Water changes are necessary. A test kit is not.
When in doubt, do a water change. Then do another just to be safe. Ammonia poisoning, which is the concern, is due to lack of water changes(assuming it isn't streaming in from the taps). Having a test kit would certainly verify there is a big amount of ammonia in the tank, but....water changes remedy that.
The poster should invest in a heater before he invests in test strips.
And do a lot more water changes.
My Betta has adequate space, although I don't own a heater I'll go out and buy one asap. Thank you everyone.
And my post a few msgs back, wasn't directed at you :) It just won't let me quote messages in my replies.
I have one of my boys in a 1G tank(although it's filtered)..he seems quite content and healthy so..if the owner is committed to frequent water changes, a 1G tank is ok IMO.
It sounds like you're going to make some positive changes, so that's good. I hope it works out.
A small internal thermometer will help you check on the water temp easily so you can be sure it's staying steady. You just stick it inside the bowl and leave it. They are only a few dollars and are available at most stores that sell pet stuff.
Okay thanks for the info. Today he doesn't seem too good. Yesterday he ate maybe one piece of food, if that. The scales around his head seem to be a tiny bit raised, nothing too dramatic, but I'm still extreamly worried. I think I'll be changing his water again today. I hope he makes it.
Aquarium salt might be a good idea. I'm really not sure about the dosage as I haven't had to treat anyone for anything. I think it's 1tsp/G. You premix the salt in treated water and then do a water change in the bowl. Continue that daily.
OldFishLady is the one to talk to about raised scales and such..if she doesn't make an appearance here, you can always send her a private message. A picture or two would help, for sure...
I'll try to get a picture, but I think I was overreacting earlier. His scales may be doing that because of the Ammonia Poisoning. I neglected to mention that, although his apperance hasn't improved nor has his eating, he is swimming around the bottom a lot more, almost like he used to. If his scales continue to worsen, I'll try to message OldFishLady and get pictures.
It's also important to have a test kit to make sure you don't have ammonia in your tap water. My tap water has a .5 ammonia reading, which is why I use Prime.
Even if you just took your tap water to the pet store and got it checked for ammonia, it's better knowing the state of your water. They'll do it for free. If I didn't have a test kit, I'd get it checked monthly at the pet store because it comes and goes. It's something to consider anyway. :)
Actually Prime is an exception to the rule. While it also binds chlorine, chloramine and heavy metals, it ALSO detoxifies ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. That is the added benefit. It does NOT remove the ammonia but simply bind it in its harmless form preventing further damage on the fish.
I disagree. It's no wonder a majority of betta cases ALWAYS involve finrot and other infections. Always have a test kit for emergency purpose. What harm is there to have a test kit? Not all betta keepers are able to stick to the basic rules.
Temporarily binds it. About a day after its been added it will start to toxify again, the bacteria that eat ammonia can ignore the prime and make nitrite as well and nothing "detoxifies" nitrate.
BUT prime is by far the best on the market. Two drops per gallon, I use five on every 2 gallons. Fish keeping is supposed to be fun, educational and soothing, not expensive!
ALSO note... the little soft packs of water treatment can go bad, so can bottles of it.