Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-04-2011, 12:55 PM   #1 
Melbell

Fin Rot?

I think my poor little betta might have fin rot. His fins are starting to look like they are torn up a little bit (and there is nothing in his tank that he could tear his fins on). I can't tell if there are any black dots along where the "tears" are because he is a really dark blue... Would it hurt him if I treated him for fin rot? And how is one supposed to treat fin rot with epsom salt. I have some, but does it have to be a particular brand or something? Thanks!

Housing
What size is your tank? 1.5 gallons.
What temperature is your tank? 76 degrees.
Does your tank have a filter? It broke...
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Nope.
Is your tank heated? Yup.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Hikari Betta Bio Gold
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2 pellets in the morning, 2-3 at night.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? 50% every other day and 100% every Saturday or Sunday.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Aqueon dechlorinator.

Water Parameters:
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH:7.6
Hardness: 75ppm
Alkalinity: 60ppm

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Torn looking fins.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Nope.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Maybe two weeks ago.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Nope.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Nope.
How old is your fish (approximately)? Not sure...
Melbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 01:49 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

How long has the filter been off or broken, what kind of substrate used and other decoration in the tank, how often do you net him?

Filters are not needed per se...just asking to rule out the filter as a possible cause..in smaller tank they can sometimes cause the tattered fins from the water movement and with heavy fin males have to use their fins more and this in of itself can be a cause...it varies from fish to fish based on genetic, age, overall health, nutrition...etc.....

Substrate-some can be rough on the delicate fins by just dragging the fins across it...same with some decoration....they may seem smooth enough to us...but those pesky delicate fins...lol.....
The larger glass stones can sometimes cause problems from the fins getting pinched between them..same for heaters, decorations, filters...etc.....and again this can vary from fish to fish......

Nutrition-can sometimes be a factor too.....proper diet for tissue development, immune response....etc.....by feeding a wide range of different foods can help meet those needs.....foods over 1yr old should be replaced...once the seal is broken you have about 6mo-1yr before they degrade...some additives are not stable...they usually won't hurt the fish so much as they may not have good nutritional value.....

Since he is overall acting okay-I would start some 50% daily water changes and every 3rd day make 100% for a week or so....if it looks to be getting worse or he has any change in behavior I would start a 10 day aquarium salt 1tsp/gal (sodium chloride) treatment and 100% water changes while in QT....

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 03-04-2011 at 01:52 PM.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote