Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-04-2011, 12:40 AM   #1 
theyxdrewxblood

Ready for a new betta? I have a couple of questions.

With the passing of Luigi yesterday, my boyfriend and I are going out tomorrow to find a new baby to add to our family. However, I have a few quick questions.

-I obviously need to buy water conditioner, correct? To make the tap water safe for him. What brands/types do you recommend?
-Also, I simply add the tap water, then pour in the amount of conditioner and it's done? Do I have to let it sit?

-I feed him Top Fin brand color-enhancing betta pellets. I plan on feeding him two pellets once a day, soaking them first so they do not expand in his tummy. Is this a good method?

-I realize the tank is small, and I plan on doing 100% water changes, multiple times a week. Is every 2-3 days alright?

-I have tested the plant, it is soft enough and I know it will not hurt him.

-No, I do not have a heater. However, I am moving the tank to the same room as my tarantula, who also needs a warm temperature. I would buy a heater, but due to the size of the tank I doubt I can find a suitable one.

-I have water in the tank now. Should I clean out this water tomorrow, before I put him in? Or is it safe to use this, just for a day or so until I do a 100% water change?

theyxdrewxblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 12:50 AM   #2 
turtle10

That tank is too small no matter how many water changes you do. I suggest at the very least 2.5 gallons. Please don't buy another betta until you can properly house it.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 12:53 AM   #3 
theyxdrewxblood

Also, what are tannins?
And how can I use one/what are the benefits?
I read somewhere about tea bags being used?
Old 03-04-2011, 12:54 AM   #4 
theyxdrewxblood

I will probably cave in and buy a bigger tank once I go to the store tomorrow. It's a good thing my boyfriend loves to spoil me. (;
Old 03-04-2011, 12:58 AM   #5 
turtle10

Yes get a bigger tank. Don't put a betta in something that small except during water changes or in emergencies. Try to get at least 2.5 gallons.

Tannins come from oak leaves, indian almond leaves, and natural organic green tea (bags). I am not sure exactly what they are but I do know that they are great for the water conditions and bettas love them. Tannins also make the water darker and more like a bettas natural environment.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 01:40 AM   #6 
peachesxo

That right there is my quarantine tank. >_<
And also my measuring cup for a drop of prime during water changes on my 10 gallons.
peachesxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 01:41 AM   #7 
Emmalea

Quote:
Originally Posted by theyxdrewxblood View Post
With the passing of Luigi yesterday, my boyfriend and I are going out tomorrow to find a new baby to add to our family. However, I have a few quick questions.

-I obviously need to buy water conditioner, correct? To make the tap water safe for him. What brands/types do you recommend?
-Also, I simply add the tap water, then pour in the amount of conditioner and it's done? Do I have to let it sit?
I use Nutrafin. I like to age my water before I put it in my tank, but I know lots of people who lust put it right in and they do fine.

-I feed him Top Fin brand color-enhancing betta pellets. I plan on feeding him two pellets once a day, soaking them first so they do not expand in his tummy. Is this a good method?
I would feed more than that. I feed twice a day 3-4 pellets each feeding.
I wouldn't worry about soaking them, they should be fine dry.

-I realize the tank is small, and I plan on doing 100% water changes, multiple times a week. Is every 2-3 days alright?
No, in a tank that small you need to do 100% each day. I would get a bigger tank.

-No, I do not have a heater. However, I am moving the tank to the same room as my tarantula, who also needs a warm temperature. I would buy a heater, but due to the size of the tank I doubt I can find a suitable one.
That is really not good enough, get a bigger tank and a heater.

-I have water in the tank now. Should I clean out this water tomorrow, before I put him in? Or is it safe to use this, just for a day or so until I do a 100% water change?
Depends, has the water been changed since your betta died? If not then you need to change it, if it is clean conditioned water it will be alright.

Emmalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 10:00 AM   #8 
Kpoo97

I use the Aqueon water conditioner.

With mine, nope. It instantly neutralizes all the bad stuff in tap water.

I don't know. I use the pellets only when I lose my flakes. X3

Neope. Get a new tank. I would recommend http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2752385&lmdn=Fish+Aquariums+%2 6amp%3B+Bowls

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2752239&lmdn=Fish+Aquariums+%2 6amp%3B+Bowls

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3611436&lmdn=Fish+Aquariums+%2 6amp%3B+BowlsI have this one and I absolutely love it. :)

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3107806&lmdn=Fish+Aquariums+%2 6amp%3B+Bowls

Just be careful and keep a VERY close eye on the temperature. Get a thermometer while you're at the petstore, k?

Either the image is bad or the water is really murky. Clean it today so that your fish doesn't suffer tomorrow.
Kpoo97 is offline   Reply With Quote